Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Budgeting

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM
  • 18 Replies

I am finally going to have to do this for awhile until my DH finds a full-time job. He works part-time but doesn't earn a whole lot so my income is primarily what we have been living on for the past couple months. I need to plan for in case he doesn't find a job this month which means possobly cutting back some. I am just finding it really difficult to decide what to cut back on, I will admit we have had quite a few extras that we could afford just fine when DH made more money. SO any advise on where to start? The the things that we pay for that arn't necessities include: housekeeper (2x/month), guitar lessons for DH, private math tutor for SD11 (she really does need help though), eating out ($200/mo), cable/internet, cell phone web plan. I think that covers most of it other than my charity giving and IRA/savings and some entertainment expenses. We don't have to go crazy cutting everything I just need to reduce cost by a few hundred dollars temporarily. Advie? Suggestions? Thanks for any help.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM

You cull the herd with yoru luxuries first

Housekeeper - Out

Dh's lessons - Out

And extended services beyond basic cable and internet - out

Keep yoru daughters tutor.

Most cell plans you can't cut back without contract breech but if you can, evaluate your need and usage and cut accordingly.

eating out - down to once a month.

Keep the IRA and savings contributions

djenesis81
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I would cut almost all of that for now.  Only keep the necessities when you are trying to budget.  I'd cut the housekeeper, guitar lessons, cut the eating out (or maybe keep one time a month or two if it's cheap meals), re-evaluate your cable/internet and even your cell phones if you're not in a contract to see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere.  Charity giving is great but if you can't afford it you can cut it for a month or so and make up for it later.  Definitely keep on track for the IRA though unless same thing applies and you can double it up later to make up for skipping it.

rosekit
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I would get rid of the housekeeper and make everyone pitch in, and the cable/Internet, unless you need it for work. Most libraries have free computers you can use, and you can watch movies, or read, until you can afford it. I'd keep the cellphones, but if you have a house phone and don't need it, I'd get rid of that too. And the eating out, that would be the first thing to go. 

rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM

That's kinda what I was leaning toward, cutting the housekeeper and guitar lessons is a couple hundred dollars by itself. Also just not eating out if at all possible and not spending money frivilously on things we don't need. We just reduced or cell phone bill so it's not bad but we do have the Xfinity bundle (cable/internet/home phone) that comes with a DVR and all that but downgrading it would only save us $30 bucks or so.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Housekeeper - Out

Dh's lessons - Out

Most cell plans you can't cut back without contract breech but if you can, evaluate your need and usage and cut accordingly.

FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM

ANd if you cut out eating out and some other entertainment expenses the xfinity bundle might be a good 

fall back. Maybe isntead of movies out (if you do that) have a movie night and rent one for 4.99 instead.

Quoting rocknmom85:

That's kinda what I was leaning toward, cutting the housekeeper and guitar lessons is a couple hundred dollars by itself. Also just not eating out if at all possible and not spending money frivilously on things we don't need. We just reduced or cell phone bill so it's not bad but we do have the Xfinity bundle (cable/internet/home phone) that comes with a DVR and all that but downgrading it would only save us $30 bucks or so.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Housekeeper - Out

Dh's lessons - Out

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Get rid of the house keeper, cable, the eating out and cut back on the amount of guitar lesson by half.

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM

The housekeeper, cut her loose.  Your husband is only working part time, tell him to take up some extra chores and one day a week when everyone has a free 2 hours, have a family cleaning party, where everyone has their delegated tasks and the house gets cleaned thoroughly.

Guitar lessons for your husband- that can go until he starts working full time again.  He is a grown man, it's not like he is a child with an extracurricular artistic outlet.  He can get over it and should be more than willing to make this temporary sacrifice for him family.

eating out-cut that in half

Cable-see if you can downgrade to a smaller/cheaper package.

Put all charity giving on hold until your husband finds full time work.

Marimaru
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I'd start with eating out, and then considering your cable/internet and cell phone plans.

If you still need to cut stuff out, the housekeeper and your husband's lessons.

At least, that's what I would do. Just take your list and put in priority order which ones you want to keep the most and which ones you would prefer to do with out, and cut them out starting at the bottom.

BlsdWithTwOKids
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM

The major one I cut out was eating out,I was going out to eat once or twice a week and I probably spent over a hundred dollars a week on takeout chinese food/mcdonald's for the kids/chinese buffett once a month,subway,panda express..I cut all that out a while ago and I cook at Home,it's cheaper and healthier...As far as a cell phone goes I have a thirty dollar cell phone from Target,it has a camera and I can go online with it anyways I spend twenty dollars a month on two hundred and fifty minutes and right now I have over three thousand minutes on my phone because I just use it for emergencies...

I would cut out the Guitar Lessons but keep the tutor for your SD,we have a cable/landline phone/internet plan through Comcast....

BlsdWithTwOKids
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Oh and cut out the Housekeeper too..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)