Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Need advice

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM
  • 16 Replies
My 4 yo recently has been talking back a lot and just plain ignoring what I tell him to do. It's getting really frustrating and I don't know how to show him it's wrong. Help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brwneyebeauty13
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Bump
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

When he does not listen to you, he gets put in time out.   It is a very simple   which teaches him the consequence of not making a good choice  (listening to you without talking back).   What discipline methods have you used in the past when he does not follow directions?    

When my dd starts talking over or back at me i stop talking  completely until she realizes it is time for her ot quiet down.  Then i repeat what i had been saying and finish my whole sentence.

brwneyebeauty13
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM
I put him in time out and the whole time in it he say he hurt his knee or he's tired or he has to go to the bathroom or tht he loves me.

Quoting frndlyfn:

When he does not listen to you, he gets put in time out.   It is a very simple   which teaches him the consequence of not making a good choice  (listening to you without talking back).   What discipline methods have you used in the past when he does not follow directions?    

When my dd starts talking over or back at me i stop talking  completely until she realizes it is time for her ot quiet down.  Then i repeat what i had been saying and finish my whole sentence.

2cadifference
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Behavior chart, it is time to start learning the rules....and small rewards make things happen way faster and calmer than punishments...BUT it is not to take the place of punishments. You would be surprised how fast a few little stickers on a piece of paper the fridge changes behavior. =)

GreenEyePixie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM
ignore it. If he has to go potty let him and then it is right back to time out to finish. After time out explain why he got the time out amd that you love him too. Kids are tricky little buggers who will do whatever they can to escape punishment.

Quoting brwneyebeauty13:

I put him in time out and the whole time in it he say he hurt his knee or he's tired or he has to go to the bathroom or tht he loves me.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2cadifference
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

If it isn't hanging, sprinkling or bleeding it can wait until time out is over.

Quoting brwneyebeauty13:

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM

thank you Green.    They do like to try and get out of being disciplined.   You as the mother need to know if he can not wait the 4 minutes to use bathroom or if he is just trying to get out of the tme out area.   I would restart the time after he gets back from potty.  Just ignore whatever he is saying while there since time out is not a time for talking or engaging.

Quoting GreenEyePixie:

ignore it. If he has to go potty let him and then it is right back to time out to finish. After time out explain why he got the time out amd that you love him too. Kids are tricky little buggers who will do whatever they can to escape punishment.

Quoting brwneyebeauty13:

Quoting frndlyfn:

athomemommy08
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Sounds like my daughter! She likes to talk back and stomp off. I put her in time out but her time doesn't start until she is quiet. Stops crying, yelling, or talking for that matter. Then once her time is up I go over and we talk about why she was in time out. The thing is you have to stick to your guns. Everytime he/she starts to talk back tell them go to time out. Don't let it go at certain times. I have my daughter actually take her own chair to the time out wall, which is in the hall way so she can't watch tv or anything. It hurts her little feelings to have to put her own chair there. It has been working though the attitude has gotten better.

PS she is 4 as well

athomemommy08
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I love the idea of a reward chart, I may need to start that up, any tips on how to start it?

Quoting 2cadifference:

Behavior chart, it is time to start learning the rules....and small rewards make things happen way faster and calmer than punishments...BUT it is not to take the place of punishments. You would be surprised how fast a few little stickers on a piece of paper the fridge changes behavior. =)

AMBG825
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:06 PM

When you're done talking to him and he keeps on going, tell him 1.) I'm done. if he keeps going you say 2.) that's your second warning. If you continue you will go in time out. If he continues you say 3.) time out. Then put him in time out.

After a few times of him doing this, you won't ever have to get to 3 again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)