Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do you get rid of smells in wood furniture?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
  • 7 Replies

So I just bought a coffee table and end table off of craigslist they have doors and storage anyway after my dh brought them in i opened the doors and was about blown over by the smell. It smells like incense or maybe clove cigarettes. My dh smokes (not in the house of car) so he didn't even notice the smell but it bothers me. 

Does anyone know how to get rid of smells that are in wood? 

It's Cassandra Cat! 

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Does anyone know I know a ton of ways to clean upholstery but I am lost on what to do about wood

It's Cassandra Cat! 

Aislinn
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

For wood? Airing it out is usually your best bet. Any polish is not going to do the trick, any chemical will ruin the finish. Set it outside and give a few days and see how it is, then. If they just took out the cigarettes, it will take a bit for the smell to go. Good luck!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you would have to refinish it since wood can soak up strong odors.

Here is one link i found for cleaning ...

http://makelyhome.com/cleaning-smelly-thrift-store-furniture/

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Thanks. I'll try this. I tried opening the doors inside and that just made my whole house stinky. We didn't have room in the van for all the kids and the furniture or I would have went with him and noticed it and just not bought it. He seriously has almost no sense of smell. lol

Quoting Aislinn:

For wood? Airing it out is usually your best bet. Any polish is not going to do the trick, any chemical will ruin the finish. Set it outside and give a few days and see how it is, then. If they just took out the cigarettes, it will take a bit for the smell to go. Good luck!

It's Cassandra Cat! 

Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I think your best bet would be to literally put the furniture outside for a little while (I know it's not very practical or easy to do).  Also, I recently made a homemade wood polish for my dining room set that was 3 parts olive oil to one part white vinegar.  I'm wondering if that would help since vinegar cuts odors really well.  You just wipe it on, let it sit a few minutes, then wipe it off with a dry cloth. 

AMBG825
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Two things you can try. Take a downy fabric softener sheet (and I don't know why Downy but that is the one to use), or take a towel and soak it in liquid Downy fabric softener then clean the wood with it.

If that doesn't work the other thing to try is put some deodorizing cat litter in a pair of panty hose and rub that all over the furniture then polish it.

Ciaodarlings
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:12 PM
I heard rubbing alcohol can get the smoky smell out. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN