Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If you live or have lived in an apartment.

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM
  • 152 Replies
1 mom liked this
What did you like about it &i what did you hate?

We may be moving & I'm not a fan of apartments BUT I've never lived in one. The one we're considering has a pool & playground, 2 stories. We have a 4yo & an almost 8mo
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SterlingHeart
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I loved not having to do yard work 

I loved having the security building when i was alone and younger before marriage

I loved having limits on space to keep me from being a shop a holic LOL 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM

One downside is there is alot more noise from the outside like if you are on bottom level you can hear the people above you.  One upside is we dont have to do lawn care or outside maintenance other than keeping our porch clean.

gatorswife1401
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM
I hated the fact that we were on the third floor when we were told we would be on first. And the lady that lived under us, she was flipping crazy. But the area and the complex itself was great
mackiebugsmom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM
I liked that you have maintenance if anything goess wrong, lawn care is free, pool is a bonus. I loved that it was "cozy" and easy to keep clean.
mrsfitz05
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Pros: the pool & playground on site. We used the pool SO much (we live in the southeast so it's usable from May - October almost some years) and it was great family time. No yard work - one less thing for us to worry about when we got home from work. Less sq footage to clean. Cheaper. We spend almost $300 more a month now for a house & utilities were cheaper in the apt too.

Cons: no just open outdoor place for the kids to run. My kids are 4.5, 2.5 & 15 months now. We live in a house now and they LOVE their backyard. Neighbors are super close. If you get a crappy one, it can be totally annoying.

If you can find a good one that is family friendly, it can be a good option for a lot of families. We didn't mind it that much, we just outgrew the one we were in and they had no bigger spaces.

lovebugs_mom906
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I liked the fact that I didn't have to worry about any kind of repairs, as everything was covered by the complex. And it had a free gym. That's about it.

I hated that my kids didn't have a backyard to play in (ages 4 and 10 months at move in), that bringing in groceries was way more of a chore, there weren't any "home projects" that I could do, that obnoxious cars and people would drive/walk by our windows at all hours...the list could go on. My biggest problem is that one of the maintenance workers called the police on us, claiming child endangerment. He said that my daughter (5 at the time) managed to climb the pool fence and got locked inside. I know for a fact that didn't happen, and my daughter denied it, even when she was threatened with everything under the sun. The man later retracted his statements and said he just saw her outside a lot (right in front of our apartment where I was either on the patio, at the window or outside with her). Anyways, for us, it was very hard living in an apartment with kids. Before kids - not so bad. We were lucky that we had nice neighbors that didn't mind our noisy kids :-)

kmorales7690
by Proud Army Wife on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I like that we didnt have a yard, but hated just about everything else, it was always busy, the neighbors were loud, I always fekt like I had no privacy or space. Plus we were always on top floor so there was the up stairs trek with kids and groceries. It's just not my thing
Young_Mommy89
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM
My issue is I don't want top floor with 2 small kids but I don't want to be on bottom floor if someone noisy above me lol

Quoting mrsfitz05:

Pros: the pool & playground on site. We used the pool SO much (we live in the southeast so it's usable from May - October almost some years) and it was great family time. No yard work - one less thing for us to worry about when we got home from work. Less sq footage to clean. Cheaper. We spend almost $300 more a month now for a house & utilities were cheaper in the apt too.

Cons: no just open outdoor place for the kids to run. My kids are 4.5, 2.5 & 15 months now. We live in a house now and they LOVE their backyard. Neighbors are super close. If you get a crappy one, it can be totally annoying.

If you can find a good one that is family friendly, it can be a good option for a lot of families. We didn't mind it that much, we just outgrew the one we were in and they had no bigger spaces.

SareyF
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM
I didn't like our apartment experiences much. Neighbors, lack of room and privacy, no in unit washer/dryer or hook ups, no yard for the kids...
flawskii
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I loved living in an apt with the exception of loud neigbors over your head

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)