Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

There is no special way to raise a black baby verses a white one

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:20 AM
  • 11 Replies

I adopted black and mixed children and we are a white couple. We did not seek any specific race we left that open we also adopted white children. They are mostly all teens now we have had them since birth. I can remember all the big deal about raising them within their culture as if they were from another planet or from another country, After all of it  I have raised them the same as my bio kids. And they are just normal kids. All the race crap that keeps these kids in foster and makes other parents afraid to cross race lines is just junk. We live in a mostly white area not on purpose but because my husband gets assigned his work area like he would if he was military. i have to admit I worried a little about dating but my son just took two gorgeous girls to winter formal and they asked him lol. Anyway at the end of the day race doesn't matter,

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I agree.  My niece and nephew are Asian....my brother and SIL are white.  They are not raising their kids in any special manner.

tobysmom103
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:30 AM

my mom adopted 2 black boys and people use to give her weird looks when they went to the store. my mom also adopted me and another little boy. The 2 black boys and i are all in our 20s now and the other boy turns 11 today and she treats us all the same. she now has custody of my niece who just turned 4 and is biracial.

momaof8
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I think all the race stuff is blown waaay out of proportion

pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:53 AM

White people can love kids of other races.   Years back dh and I wanted to adopt. After our son was born. Doctors said I'd never get pregnant again. We contacted the county for kids up for adoption. They tell me they had blacks and hispanics only.  They will only adopt to people of their race.  I didn't think that was right.  But that is what they told mee.  A black woman I used to work with says. What do I know about  raising a black child.  I won't know to comb their hair and all that.  I commented It's more than knowing how to comb a black childs hair.  That I think I have what it takes to love and parent a child no matter what the race is.

TigOlBitties
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I agree. It's not about raising races, it's about raising decent humans.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momaof8
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:00 AM

that is illegal now and you can learn how to do hair. How many dads learn how to do their bio daughters hair lol

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

White people can love kids of other races.   Years back dh and I wanted to adopt. After our son was born. Doctors said I'd never get pregnant again. We contacted the county for kids up for adoption. They tell me they had blacks and hispanics only.  They will only adopt to people of their race.  I didn't think that was right.  But that is what they told mee.  A black woman I used to work with says. What do I know about  raising a black child.  I won't know to comb their hair and all that.  I commented It's more than knowing how to comb a black childs hair.  That I think I have what it takes to love and parent a child no matter what the race is.

momaof8
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM

It seems really common for wealthier whites to adopt asian babies but still wierd for white people to adopt other races. It is changing with famous adoptions but we adoptd before it was trendy lol

Quoting tobysmom103:

my mom adopted 2 black boys and people use to give her weird looks when they went to the store. my mom also adopted me and another little boy. The 2 black boys and i are all in our 20s now and the other boy turns 11 today and she treats us all the same. she now has custody of my niece who just turned 4 and is biracial.

IHeartDraven
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I think that's because international adoptions have a less likely chance to be reversed or fall through
Plus they cost more
So for a couple that doesn't want the heartache of a reversal and hve the money they choose international. China seems to be or was a quicker adoption so you have a lot of Chinese infants ending up in wealthy families
I don't think that's exactly the case anymore but it was at one time

I was adopted through foster care

Quoting momaof8:

It seems really common for wealthier whites to adopt asian babies but still wierd for white people to adopt other races. It is changing with famous adoptions but we adoptd before it was trendy lol

Quoting tobysmom103:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Why would it matter? there children!!

KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I hope one day we can open our house to a child that needs a forever home :) skin color means nothing to us just want a child that needs a forever home and love. 

BE BOLD check your husbands balls, early detection is the key to saving a life 

NEED TO KNOW FACTS: TESTICULAR CANCER
✔ One man is diagnosed every hour
✔ One man dies everyday
✔ Can strike at any age, however, most common in the 15-35 age range
✔ Number one killing cancer of young men
✔ MOST CURABLE CANCER, When Caught Early!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)