Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Recipe for cookie butter?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM
  • 15 Replies
Does anyone have one? My dd loves it. I have been searching for a recipe? I buy it at Trader Joes, but I would like to make it myself. She loves it on apples. Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Cookie Butter

Cookie Butter

Blogger Stephanie Wise of Girl versus Dough whips up a sweet cookie spread – perfect for homemade gifts! Learn to make this recipe with our how-to article.

• PREP TIME10 Min
    • TOTAL TIME10 Min
    • SERVINGS 32

packages (8.8 oz each) decorative caramelized biscuit cookies
      tablespoons packed light brown sugar
      teaspoons ground cinnamon
      1/2
      teaspoon ground nutmeg
      teaspoon vanilla
      tablespoon molasses
      tablespoons vegetable oil
      cup water
      • 1In large food processor, process cookies into fine crumbs. Turn off processor. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla; process until blended. Continue to process while adding molasses and oil through spout.
      • 2With processor running, add just enough water so mixture becomes a creamy consistency (you might not use all the water). Add more water as needed until you reach desired texture (it should be about the same as peanut butter).
      • 3Pour cookie butter into airtight container; seal. Store in refrigerator.

bamababe1975
      by Stephanie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I'd never heard of it until now but that recipe sounds delicious!

JulyBabies
      by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM

We had that once after trying a free sample at Trader Joe's and I refuse to bring it in to the house again, it's delicious and  addictive ! Also extremely bad for you, I had it on a paper plate and you could see a huge grease spot where it sat.

jellybeanjean
      by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:30 PM

i have never heard of this. Its disgusting but delicious looking. Must try!

DOMTITI
      by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM
      I buy it for my dd, once in a long while because it so bad for you. She eats it with apple slices. My kids rarely get junk food, but, I allow treats. However, I was looking for a healthier way to make it. Thank you for the recipe:) I did find one made with organic coconut oil;) Abd couple other simple ingredients. Way less fat , less sugar.. Still yummy;)
      Posted on CafeMom Mobile
      Sassy762
      by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:48 AM
      1 mom liked this

Spiced Cookie Butter Recipe

Spiced Cookie Butter
      Difficulty: Easy | Total Time: Makes: About 1 1/2 cups

When handed a sample of Biscoff cookie spread at a trade show a couple of years ago, I was skeptical at how a spread made of ground-up cookies would taste. I ended UP being addicted to the creamy European export, and now easy-to-find domestic versions are popping up at Trader Joe’s and even in drugstores! CHOW’s version is made with graham crackers, powdered and brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, all ground together in a food processor. To get the texture even smoother, the mixture is ground again in a spice grinder until powdery. Finally, oil is added until you have a smooth cookie butter that’s delicious spread on toast or used as a dip for apples or pretzels.

Special equipment: You’ll need both a food processor and a spice grinder for this recipe.

INGREDIENTS
      • 15 (4-3/4-by-2-1/2-inch) whole graham crackers (about 8 ounces)
      • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
      • 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
      • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
      • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
      • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
      INSTRUCTIONS
      1. Break the graham crackers into rough 2-inch pieces and place them in a food processor fitted with a blade attachment. Add the powdered sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Process until finely ground, about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and reserve the food processor (no need to wash it).
      2. Working in batches, grind the cracker mixture in a spice grinder until very fine. Return the powder to the food processor.
      3. With the motor running, slowly add the oil in a steady stream, stopping and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary, until the mixture is smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer to a container with a tightfitting lid and store at room temperature for up to 1 month. If the mixture separates, stir to recombine before serving.
      Sassy762
      by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:48 AM
      1 mom liked this

How To Make Homemade Speculoos Cookie Butter

Imagine that peanut butter and Biscoff cookies had a baby. That's Speculoos.

This Belgian cookie spread was invented in 2007 when the winner of the Belgian prime time TV show "De Bedenkers" concocted it, according to the Lotus Bakeries web site. It's made with 57% percent Biscoff cookies. For Nutella lovers, let us warn you: this might be even better. The lower sugar content allows you to down spoonful after spoonful without wanting to die. The spices are comforting. It's also preservative-free and vegan to boot.

Speculoos is starting to invade American stores. For those who haven't had the fortune of traveling to Belgium to experience it, or have friends who have and brought it back to you (this is how we found out about it), this is great news. We recently found it at the new flagship Walgreens store on State Street, but before that, had some trouble. Trader Joe's made their own variety during the holidays, but then we couldn't find it anywhere once they stopped. So naturally, we decided to make our own. The verdict? Awesome.

Someone figured out how to make cookies taste even better than their regular form, and we'd like to thank them for that. Think of it as a big handful of cookie crumbs, but creamier. Put it on pancakes or waffles, eat it plain, or bake with it.

Speculoos Cookie Butter Recipe

Ingredients:
      3/4 sleeve Biscoff cookies (about 24 cookies)
      1 Tablespoon sugar
      1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
      1/4 cup) coconut oil
      a pinch of salt
      1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
      2 teaspoons canola oil
      1 Tablespoon skim milk

Directions:

Grind the cookies into a fine meal using a food processor.

Melt the coconut fat and let cool down until luke warm. Add coconut oil to the cookie meal and process until combined. Then add sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, canola oil and milk. Process until combined, scraping the sides as needed. This could take up to 5 minutes, but stop whenever you reach your desired consistency. Play around with the oil or milk amounts if you still want it creamier.

This spread will harden in the fridge and it is best to let it stand 30 min at room temperature when serving.

Paperfishies
      by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:21 AM
      1 mom liked this

Sounds delicious, I will be making this!!!

bluediamondmom
      by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:00 AM
      1 mom liked this
      Definitely going to try these! Thanks!
      Posted on CafeMom Mobile
      DOMTITI
      by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:26 AM
      Thank you ladies so much!!!! I can't wait to make it!
      Posted on CafeMom Mobile
      Add your quick reply below:
      You must be a member to reply to this post.
      Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
      Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
      other members!
      Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN