Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you let your young children be awake by themselves while you sleep?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM
  • 24 Replies

My DSD is 4. I never go to sleep if she is awake. As soon as she wakes up in the morning I get up with her. But today she told me that when she is at BM's my DSD gets up, wakes BM up to turn on cartoons, then BM goes back to sleep. DSD also said she tells BM that shes hungry but BM sleeps anyway. and the real kicker, DSD is in charge of watching the 6 month old while BM sleeps.

Right now were fighting for custody. BM has her rights and visitation suspended for other reasons. So I didnt know if this should be brought up in court or if its something other moms do as well. Ive been with DSD for 4 years and Ive never let her stay up while I sleep, but how many of you do?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2beautiesnb
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM
nope. i have a 7 yr old dd, a 6 yr old ss, and a 3 yr old dd.... when theyre up, im up. its part of being a responsible parent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah5708Emma
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM
If my dd1 wakes up first, she'll climb in bed with me until the twins wake up. They are still in cribs, but D's can climb out so I always get up when I hear they are awake.. I never sleep if dd1 wants to get up though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PlaysAllDay
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM
If my kids are up - I'm up. My oldest is 8 and I still get up if she's up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Sometimes my almost 4 year old will go to the bathroom when she wakes up, see that I am sleeping, and go to her room and play puzzles until she hears her younger brother wake up because then she'll go open his door, I go to the bathroom, and then we're all up for the day.  Sometimes she climbs into bed with me and we'll watch a movie until her brother wakes up.  Other times she's the last one to wake up.

HippieMomma08
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I'll nod off on the couch if they wake up earlier than sin. But I'd never just get them set up infront of the tv and go back tp bed.
nerdymom28
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM

My DD is 6 and she gets up at the butt-crack of dawn on the weekends. She just goes downstairs and watches cartoons until I get up, which is usually an hour or less.

fishstick
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM

It seems that most of you do not let your kids stay up without you, so should I bring this up in court?

JZB
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Yup
AleaKat
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM
No way!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondie.mom
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Ods is 7 (on Friday) and yds is 2. I wake up when ds(7) wakes up, but he gets his own breakfast about half the time. There is no way I would go back to sleep and let my 4 yo take care of a 6 mo! That is stupid and dangerous! I would definitely bring that up in court, start documenting every time dsd tells you these things. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN