Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What would you do? 6 year old hates school..

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 5 Replies
My 6 year old DD is in 1st grade.. Last year she loved school, but this year is a whole different story. She crys all the time and tells me she doesnt have any friends, then at other times tells me about all the stuff her and her friends did at school that day. I have talked to her teacher about it and she says Gabby has a ton of friends and is never alone at recess, but sometimes she doesnt want to play what the other kids are playing so she will walk around with her teacher.. Then at times she says she doesnt want to go because she misses her sisters, which is true, they miss her while she is at school too. Even thismorning she was upset about going to school, on the verge of tears. She says she wants to be home schooled, but I have a hard time just getting her to do 2 pages of homework a night, I couldnt imagine trying to get her to pay attention while she does hours of schoolwork a day and her sisters are running around playing.. Any advice on what I should do? I really hate seeing her sad and crying like this..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LaughingTattoo
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Its likely just a phase. My oldest is the same exact age/grade and does this too. She has a ton of friends at school....but its a big change from kindergarten. Her teacher assured me that almost all of the first grade kids go through this.

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM

start a reward chart for her. Name is "Gabby's Most Awesome " chart. Give her stickers for each day she leaves without getting upset. Give her another one for each page of homework she completes. Make up a prize chart. If she earns 10 stickers she can get( something small that she likes) when she trades them in , you peel them off. Make prizes for 20, 30, 50 and 100 . She will strive to do this IF the prizes are things she likes and wants.Be sure to praise her for each sticker earned. Remind her how close she is to being able to trade them in.

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM

It's just a phase my DD now 10 went through that as well, just hang tough Momma she'll move through it, And she'll be fine !

umm.yeah
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM

You just have to let her know that going to school is non-negotiable.  Try not to make a big deal of how much her sisters miss her during the day.  That could make her feel she needs to be home for them.  It is hard to see our kids dislike school and cry about having to go.  My son was the same way when he was younger and complained about not having friends.  But when talking to the teacher she would say the same things your daughter's teacher would say.  I think if kids are the type A personality - always want to be the leader - it can be tough to find their place in the social structure of a classroom.  Hang in there - it will get better.

TS9509
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM
My ds who is 6 says he hates school some mornings and others he is fine. He loves to sleep in so I'm sure that his problem is just the fact of having to get up early.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)