Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Child support question help please

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM
  • 12 Replies

My ex had a child with another girl and they have recently split up. He told me today that she is filing for child support. So my question is does anyone know how this will affect the child support that I receive from him? I only get $450 a month for 3 kids as it is, and half the time he does not even pay that. Has anyone else had to deal with this? Does anyone have any idea how much they will lower the amount that I get for my kids? Will I have to go back to the attorney generals office and do the whole process over again? Oh and when I first filed for child support his other kid was already born so they did take that into account when figuring the amount he owed me.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gcstar42
by Shara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM

BUMP!

Y2kmomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM
My friend totally got screwed when her ex had another child. She was getting $212 a month for one child and after ex and other mom were done court, she got served court papers from him for a modification, they lowered hers to $131 a month.
But that child was also born after her kids, so it could be different.
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gcstar42
by Shara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM

BUMP!

gcstar42
by Shara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM

His other child was also born after my kids. I just didn't file for child support for a long time because at first he was just giving me money anyways. He quit giving me money and I filed for support but he already had his other kid so they took that into consideration. I am worried that mine will drop a huge amount also though just like your friends did. Thank you for the information though.

Quoting Y2kmomma:

My friend totally got screwed when her ex had another child. She was getting $212 a month for one child and after ex and other mom were done court, she got served court papers from him for a modification, they lowered hers to $131 a month.
But that child was also born after her kids, so it could be different.
Good luck!

dana63
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

When mine was paying CS another woman filed on him and the AG office told me that it wouldn't affect my monthly check. I also got his income tax and they only took out a small percentage each year for the other child.

Call the CS division and ask if this would hurt your CS.

gcstar42
by Shara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Wow really? Thanks I will check with them. I am not sure if it makes a difference but what state are you in? I am in Texas.

Quoting dana63:

When mine was paying CS another woman filed on him and the AG office told me that it wouldn't affect my monthly check. I also got his income tax and they only took out a small percentage each year for the other child.

gcstar42
by Shara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

BUMP!

JZB
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Google and see if there's a cs calculator online for TX
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dana63
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Quoting gcstar42:

Wow really? Thanks I will check with them. I am not sure if it makes a difference but what state are you in? I am in Texas.

Quoting dana63:

I am also in TX and he was in Utah and I talked to TX..

gcstar42
by Shara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I found one but it says it does not take into account other children that either parent has. Plus right now he does not even have a job but he is maybe going to be starting a new one soon. I have no idea how much he will be making though.

Quoting JZB:

Google and see if there's a cs calculator online for TX

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN