Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

unexcused absents *updated*

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 80 Replies

I would like to hear what you ladies think.

A couple of weeks ago we took our family on a trip to Charleston SC.A week before hand I sent a letter to her teacher, letting her know when and why my daughter would be absent (that was following the rules in our student handbook) Our oldest DD is in Kindergarten. She had to miss 3 days of school. While we were on vacation we took her on a tour of  Fort Sumter, a carriage ride of the city (learned a ton about the city, country, and wars), took a tour of one of the original buildings (jail/museum), aquarium, and many other educational tours.

When my daughter got back to school I sent a letter to the school letting them know where she had been. We also made sure that her homework was done and sent back to the school within a couple of days.

Yesterday the school sent home a letter, telling us that the she was considered unexcused for the days that she missed and that it was a first warning for truancy.

Were we in the wrong for taking her on this educational Vacation?

Just got off the phone with the school. They said that even though I sent in a letter a week before we left, and sent in another letter when my daughter came back to school (Following student handbook guidelines) my daughters absence is still unexcused. The reason that it is unexcused is because they don't approve family trips as excused absents.

The only reason that we took this vacation while she was in school, was because that is the only time that my husband could get off work.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I guess it all depends on the school's policy. Did you tell them before you went or after? We missed three weeks of school to go to the Philippines and the school had no issues with it. We worked it out before we left and had to come back with a project for each class to make up for the class time we missed. 

IHeartDraven
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
No
My sons school has you fill out a vacation request form. Whether its educational or fun family bonding time it's excused
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
You said you sent them a letter after you returned. Did you notify them before your vacation? If not I could understand why they would say it was unexcused.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

How many unexcused absences does she have?

In our district that they don't start to get annoyed until you've reached 10 unexcused absences.

RLT2
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Why didn't you notify them beforehand? Check the school's policy, has she had a lot of absences this year already?

mavery523
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I let her teachers know before we left

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

You said you sent them a letter after you returned. Did you notify them before your vacation? If not I could understand why they would say it was unexcused.

BelleVernonGirl
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

It's normal for them to send that letter...I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on her missing alot of school this year...

mavery523
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM

she has only been absent 2 or 3 days for being sick (I sent in a letter each time). The only unexcused absences that she has is for the 3 days we were on vacation.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

How many unexcused absences does she have?

In our district that they don't start to get annoyed until you've reached 10 unexcused absences.

HippieMomma08
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Did you say something before you went? Or did she just not show up to school for 3 days?

I know when I was in school we had to give notice for anything other than sickness to be excused. Otherwise she pretty much did skip school.

Think of it like this, would you skip out on work for a couple days? Then come and tell them you were in vacation?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mavery523
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I let the school know a week in advance. They more or less told her to have fun.

Quoting HippieMomma08:

Did you say something before you went? Or did she just not show up to school for 3 days?

I know when I was in school we had to give notice for anything other than sickness to be excused. Otherwise she pretty much did skip school.

Think of it like this, would you skip out on work for a couple days? Then come and tell them you were in vacation?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN