Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you ever notice you are the only person in your house that CAN'T call in sick and lay in bed all day?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 83 Replies
3 moms liked this

I would think this mostly applies to SAHM's, although it may also be true for some working moms. There's been a bad cold going around my house. With my baby it developed into a throat infection. I know a cold doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's a KILLER! I'm SO miserable! I think it may have actuallly developed into an infection for me too, but I can't afford to go to the Dr. As a SAHM, I'm the only person in the house with no health insurance, and I can't afford to go to a Dr. I suppose if I got really sick, I'd just have to die.

My dh, if he's sick, can just call in and lie in bed having me wait on him all day and giving him sympathy. Same with the kids. They can miss school and stay home for Mommy to take care of them. However, now that I'M sick, I just have to suck it up. The baby isn't going to take care of herself, and she's  VERY clingy and high maintenance. She does NOT like to be put down, and if I don't do the dishes, laundry and cleaning up nobody will do it for me.

My sinuses HUUUURT, and my nose is alternately runny or stuffy, it hurts to swallow, and my throat is killing me, and my HEAD!!! It feels like my head has knives stabbed all through it everywhere. Plus I'm tired and my body aches. I've taken Sudafed and my prescription migraine medicine, (I get migraines all the time). Still, I'm having to do all my house chores. The house would be a wreck, everyone would be wearing dirty stinky clothes, and the baby would be neglected, hungry and covered in diaper rash if I just laid in bed trying to recouperate. UGH! I'm glad at least that this is the first time I've been sick in probably around two years. Oh, wait, that's not true, I had food poisioning a couple of months ago, and I got NO sympathy from dh, and he was complaining that I wasn't taking care of the baby, and so he had to, when he wanted to be playing video games. I was in the bathroom puking for hours, and he's hovering outside the door saying things like, "Poor baby. Mommy won't take care of you.", and "Are you EVER coming out of there?!" and "This baby is driving me CRAZY! She won't stop crying!!!" Argh! Yes, I know, he can be quite a jerk at times.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I've been sick since last weekend and my husband has been great.  He's taken the girl to school when he didn't have to work too early (boys ride the bus) so I could sleep.  He's picked her up when his schedule has allowed and he's taken over everything while he's home.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

krise
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this

if I'm down for the count I'm out and my Dh picks up the slack 100%

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM

yap i am like you too when my kids are sick they can sleep or what ever   me on the other hand can never lay down or take a nap  even though my kids are at school i stay up all day until its time to go to bed  

BelleVernonGirl
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Nope no one is aloud to be a whiner in my house...it's just me and my 2 girls (16 y/o twins)  We go to work and school no matter...my daughter went to school last year with pneumonia and we didn't even know it till a week later when I could get her into the Dr....she never complained once...

loisl25
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Lucky! You have a good husband. :)

Quoting jillbailey26:

I've been sick since last weekend and my husband has been great.  He's taken the girl to school when he didn't have to work too early (boys ride the bus) so I could sleep.  He's picked her up when his schedule has allowed and he's taken over everything while he's home.

lilmacmama20
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Being that im a single mom with a job, i never get a sick day
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
loisl25
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I wish my dh was like that.

Quoting krise:

if I'm down for the count I'm out and my Dh picks up the slack 100%

loisl25
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM
3 moms liked this

Wow! That's so scary! You're 'no whiners' policy could literally have killed your daughter! I had pneumonia once when I was 12, and the Dr. said if my mom had waited one more day to bring me in I would have had to be hospitalized. People die from that! Brittany Murphey, (famous actress) died from that.

Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

Nope no one is aloud to be a whiner in my house...it's just me and my 2 girls (16 y/o twins)  We go to work and school no matter...my daughter went to school last year with pneumonia and we didn't even know it till a week later when I could get her into the Dr....she never complained once...

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I haven't been sick enough in a long time to even think about it. However my hubby helps out when I ask or if he can tell I am really not feeling well. Get better soon. Being sick and Careing for baby is no fun!

BelleVernonGirl
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Brittany Murphy was also a drug addict...but anyways...Life doesn't stop just b/c you have a cold...specially for women...might as well learn it while they are young...we're all 3 sick right now...o well

Quoting loisl25:

Wow! That's so scary! You're 'no whiners' policy could literally have killed your daughter! I had pneumonia once when I was 12, and the Dr. said if my mom had waited one more day to bring me in I would have had to be hospitalized. People die from that! Brittany Murphey, (famous actress) died from that.

Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)