Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

When did your kids stop taking naps?

Posted by   + Show Post
My 2.5 year old still needs a nap or else he's a mess by 5 o'clock. But I've been noticing he's not as tired or ready for a nap when nap time comes around. I've been trying to wear him out a little more in the mornings (its been hard lately, we live in mn and its been too cold to play outside) Everyone keeps warning me that he's going to stop taking naps soon and I feel like ill go crazy without my 2 hours to get my stuff done! So..when did your kids stop taking naps and how did you know it was the right time?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Replies (41-48):
Hapsand123
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Mines 5 and stills needs one. Not everyday, we play it by ear. I was wondering the same thing, thats why I clicked on this. He is in school but doesnt go for a full day. I was wondering if her will need one once he starts to go full time. My guess is yes. lol. 

And the time we usually do it at is about 1, sometimes 2. Depending on my work day. 

eesmommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM
DS is 7 and will sometimes fall asleep but usually plays quietly and reads in his room from 12:30-3:00... DD is 5, she went through a phase last year where she wouldn't shush long enough to go to sleep but now she goes right to sleep.
itsm3
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM

dd stopped napping around 2.5yo.  she just wasn't tired by nap time and if i put her down later, she wasn't tired for bedtime!  so i skipped nap, gave her rest time instead and put her down early by 1hr.  when kids stop napping, they  need early bedtime temporarily until they get used to the longer wake time.  don't force them to stay up to their normla bedtime or you'll have night wakings (overtired).

i knew dd was ready to drop her nap when the above happened (not tired by naptime/late nap = bedtime battles etc). 

motherslove82
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:39 PM

My three oldest stopped around 3. My youngest was only a little over a year. She has never really needed much sleep. Which makes for a very tired Momma.

auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Ds 1 was about 4 yr old.

Ds 2 1 yrs old still naps
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:13 PM

My oldest son stopped around 4 or so, my middle son napped until he was almost 6(his own choice, we would have a quiet time and he would pass out), my youngest son is 6 and still naps on occasion(same as above), but not a daily thing. He napped today.

I pretty much had them self wean from nap times...

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Fiveish

eviesmom453
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM

3 or 4? Those were the days!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN