Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Bedwetting

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hi, I'm Yvonne. Mom to 4 mini adult children, stepmom to 2 mini adult children and a13 year old boy. Jordan is the reason I'm here. He is ADHD and Emotionally Disturbed. His bio mom was an addict and alcoholic. And she is bi-polar. She was absent for most of his life. He has been raised primarily by his dad, my fiance.
Jordan wets his bed at night. And from the look of things he has no desire to stop. It's kinda embarassing to have your home constantly smell of urine. What can we do to get him to stop wetting his bed?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Indianamomto4
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you addressed this with his pediatrician? Why is his bed getting wet every night and your house smelling like urine? They have adult sized diapers (like depends) for kids who bed wet. At his age I don't think suggestions from cafe mom are going to be an answer for him. Most kids don't choose to wet the bed, it's something beyond their control. Consult with a pediatrician or urologist.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

What are mini adult children?   How old is the child/person who is wetting bed?   It is due to the emotional disturbance i am sure that he feels no desire to or is not able to stop the bed wetting. Talk to his primary doctor and see if emotional therapy would help.

As for the smell  Febreeze, Lysol, Baking soda, wiping bed down with vinegar, putting the mattress in a full cover would help.  Need something to neutralize not  just cover up the smell.

MrS.GiFFord
by Brittany on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

How old? If he is 13 and wetting the bed he definitely needs to see a therapist.

AMBG825
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump to come back later
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I have my kids wearing pull ups to deal with the occasional accident. I don't have the patience to clean sheets when it happens. By doing that, I don't get upset or angry and I don't want my kids to feel ashamed, it's an accident. I used to wet the bed as a kid I know it was not a conscious decision. At this stage, the only solution I can think of is to consult a doctor to rule out medical issues. 

AMBG825
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Okay now that I'm not puking my guts out. My oldest wet the bed until he was 16. He has RAD. So we've gone round with this.

First thing, and the most important thing is to set up 2 appointments. One is for a physical doctor. the other for a therapist. There are a number of physical and psychological issues that cause bedwetting. You'll want to make sure he doesn't have something like a blocked urethra, an underdeveloped bladder or kidney issues. The psych appointment to explore the possibility of ODD, bi polar disorder or RAD. The background you describe is very common for RAD.

Once those are made a few rules. Get a plastic or rubber mattress cover. Amazon has twin size for as low as $30.00. PUt that over his mattress. (if you don't have one already, you're going to want to consider replacing the mattress.) There are also ones that are a lot more expensive that have little bells that go off when liquid hits them. Supposedly to wake him up when he wets the bed.

Next rule. 2 hours before bedtime - no liquids. If his bedtime is 8:00, no liquids after 6:00

Next he has to use the bathroom before he crawls into bed.

If after doing those you notice that he's still wetting the bed, you're going to wind up losing a bit of sleep. Set your alarm for midnight. Go in and wake him up and make him go to the bathroom.

In most cases, bedwetting stops at puberty. So if he's 13, he should be hitting puberty soon and it should come to an end.

WendyJR
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
This

Quoting MrS.GiFFord:

How old? If he is 13 and wetting the bed he definitely needs to see a therapist.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
np23
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello Yvonne! I agree a lot with what AMBG825 said. Take Jordan to a doctor and to a therapist. Get a mattress cover or a washable underpad so that the bed doesn't get ruined. Make him pee twice before bed and also make sure he's not constipated. If Jordan is at least 5 years old, you can try giving him a bedwetting alarm. It's one of the most effective treatments of bedwetting, so you might want to look into that. My sister used it on her son and it treated him in a little over a month. She got hers from this online store called Bedwetting Store. The alarm came with sounds and vibration to wake the child up. Hope that helps! 

ymbotello
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Thanks everyone!!! Mini adults are what I call my children. They are in their 20's. Jordan is 13 years old. He does wear adult diapers to bed. But wetting his bed every night is what makes his room smell. All suggestions are great! Now I just need to approach the subject with my fiance. He says the pedi said Jordan is just lazy and doesn't want to get up. As for being bi polar. It's possible. His mother is.
KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I just fought this battle and finally won with my child..  It's such a hard one..

Clearly this poor little boy has emotional issues that are contributing, that my son and I are lucky enough to not have..

For the most part, the child has to be ready.  ONLY positive reinforcement helps.  If it gets really bad, there are medications as an absolute LAST resort.. but there's this bed wetting alarm, it goes off as soon as the child gets damp, and wakes them up immediately.. It may seem pointless as it goes off after the child is wet, however in time (the research says up to 12 weeks) it trains the child to wake before getting wet.. I did not have to use this, however I was close.. And after reading reviews, I was sold - It seems like an amazing tool

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN