Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Bullies

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 4 Replies
For those who bully others or are proud of their children who are bullies themselves, why? Why do you choose that? I don't get it, so explain to me why.

My 9 yr old has been bullied since he started preschool. He was in all day preschool (special needs) with 2hrs mainstreamed. He has been picked on by children and adults, including adults of other special needs children. Been called a freak, scaredy cat, cursed at, punched, knocked down in mud, had water poured on his pants to make it looked like he peed, arm twisted. Which in turn has lowered his self esteem, caused suicidal thoughts, self harm and 1 attempt at suicide. Yes, he receives a lot of help.
My son is autistic. He's terrified of clouds and wind, has a hard time with change, speaks in a odd tone, and so on and so on.
Today his lunch was taken by another student, thrown to the ground, and stomped on. He refused to turn that student in. Did that make you feel good? Is your day complete? Happy ending for you?

No I did not go and rescue him (his choice), the other student was caught only because he bragged about it, his art teacher gave him her lunch (even though I was about to head over with a new lunch). He attends a gifted school and is mainstreamed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Most bullies have severe insecurity about themselves and will treat others badly to feel power over them..  Each person needs to learn how to be assertive and stand up for themselves.  I am not sure how to teach this in a child who has autism though since their social cues arent the sharpest.

inspain
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

My friend's son, who has Asperger's, was bullied too.  The bullying was started, led by and encouraged by the teacher.  When confronted, she lied.  When caught on tape, she shrugged it off, saying that she wasn't the only one who would make fun of him and he needed it to help him learn to "...have a thicker skin or stop being weird".  This is not uncommon behavior for teachers where I live.  It's not the only incident that i know of.  Not one of the schools reprimanded the teachers involved.  The "knock it off or get used to beibg bullied" mindset is shockingly common here.  It's also what a local psychologist reccommended foe my DD's OCD.  She told us that putting her in school (she's homeschooled) would cure her OCD.  That fear of being mocked, singled out and bullied would force her to "behave normally, like the other kids".

I'm so sorry your child has gone through this.  At least in the US you should have some recourse.

ZakkarysMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Thats sick. What is wrong with people? I sure hope my son doesnt get bullied at school. He is 3 and in special ed.

Quoting inspain:

My friend's son, who has Asperger's, was bullied too.  The bullying was started, led by and encouraged by the teacher.  When confronted, she lied.  When caught on tape, she shrugged it off, saying that she wasn't the only one who would make fun of him and he needed it to help him learn to "...have a thicker skin or stop being weird".  This is not uncommon behavior for teachers where I live.  It's not the only incident that i know of.  Not one of the schools reprimanded the teachers involved.  The "knock it off or get used to beibg bullied" mindset is shockingly common here.  It's also what a local psychologist reccommended foe my DD's OCD.  She told us that putting her in school (she's homeschooled) would cure her OCD.  That fear of being mocked, singled out and bullied would force her to "behave normally, like the other kids".

I'm so sorry your child has gone through this.  At least in the US you should have some recourse.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LABELmeCUTE
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM
My daughter was bullied, it's hard not to interfere when you're a Moma, cause my first instinct was to go up to that school & tell those little girls off,& then go tell their mothers off,but she handled it on her own...I mean I didn't condone in her fighting them but they haven't bothered her since
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN