Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Stomping

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 13 Replies
So...mds has begun stopping, grunting, screaming when he gets punished and told to go to timeout. What would you do if your child were doing this? It is driving me crazy and nothing has been working to curb it. Thanks for ideas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
makelineerror
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this
He's having a fit. Ignore him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:28 PM

How are you doing time out?  Give one warning, then if he keeps the mis behavior up he goes into time out?  How old is he?   For me he would need to calm down before the time started and then one minute per age.  He most likely is testing you to see if you will stop the consequence if he fusses enough.

Ktina11
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM
That is what I have been trying lately....just wasn't sure if ignorg would escalate it when he sees he doesn't get a reaction.

Quoting makelineerror:

He's having a fit. Ignore him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ktina11
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM
He is 4 almost 5. Timeouts are usually on his bed for 4-5 minutes depending. Ods did this a little but MDS is over the top with it. He knows I don't start the timeout until he is sitting quietly in the timeout spot.

Quoting frndlyfn:

How are you doing time out?  Give one warning, then if he keeps the mis behavior up he goes into time out?  How old is he?   For me he would need to calm down before the time started and then one minute per age.  He most likely is testing you to see if you will stop the consequence if he fusses enough.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Just stay consistent and dont pay any more attention to the fits while he has them.  I had the odd duck child who would put herself in time out to cool off her emotions when she knew she did something wrong.  Your son may be old enough to do losing priveleges for a day instead of time outs.

Quoting Ktina11:

He is 4 almost 5. Timeouts are usually on his bed for 4-5 minutes depending. Ods did this a little but MDS is over the top with it. He knows I don't start the timeout until he is sitting quietly in the timeout spot.

Quoting frndlyfn:

inspain
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I would/have asked DD, "What's that supposed to accomplish?"

She once said, "I'm mad at you!"

I said, "I'm mad at you.  You should be mad at you too.  If it wasn't for you, you wouldn't be getting punished."

They do things that get them in trouble and they get pissed, at you and at themselves, they're human.  And they're still kids...you may not stomp when you get in trouble, but that's because you're mature enough to control yourself.

rocamom
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Ignore him. Eventually he will see he's not bothering you and it will stop.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ktina11
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Earlier he stomped, yelled, and then promptly told me he doesn't love me anymore. Those words hurt with my first but now...they dom't phase me. :)

Quoting inspain:

I would/have asked DD, "What's that supposed to accomplish?"

She once said, "I'm mad at you!"

I said, "I'm mad at you.  You should be mad at you too.  If it wasn't for you, you wouldn't be getting punished."

They do things that get them in trouble and they get pissed, at you and at themselves, they're human.  And they're still kids...you may not stomp when you get in trouble, but that's because you're mature enough to control yourself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ktina11
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Thanks!

Quoting rocamom:

Ignore him. Eventually he will see he's not bothering you and it will stop.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:19 PM

When my kids were younger they would get 5 minutes for every outburst added to their time. I had a little timer and I would just add it to the time. I never engaged him, I would just move the timer. 

They each did it maybe 2 times, then they smartened up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)