Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Any moms here from/live in Germany?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM
  • 16 Replies

So my DH may be getting a position in Southern Germany in the next 6 months, if that happens it looks like we will be moving there! It is all happening so fast, I am excited but nervous too. I am wondering if any moms are from that area and can tell me what to expect/advice for moving there as an American. Luckily my DH was stationed in Heidelberg for 3 years when he was in the Army so he knows the area, but this time we will be going as civilians. I have never been there myself. We will either be in Garmisch, Heidelberg, Bitburg or near Frankfurt. I have a ton to do in the mean time to prepare (it is looking highly likely at this point) but any tips would be appreciated, thanks!!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM

bump!

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM

We lived near bitburg for 4 years and it was nice...toom marts are the placee to shop. things to see on weekend trips...luxenburg castle, paris, the black forest and the tropical islands resort near berlin all must visits. the people are basically very friendly most people in the area speak english though they appreciate it if you try to speak german... most of the time they will answer in english though. do not pass on the little highway between bitburg and spangdahlem... it is illegal for service men and dangerous for everyone. hope you enjoy your stay.

DragonMother10
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Send us some German food! My husband is from Germany and hasn't found a good German restaurant here. Hahaha! Just kidding, hope you like Germany. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
refinada_20
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I lived in Germany for 2 years and LOVED it! If you can I'd pick to live near Garmisch. It is so beautiful and you are in the Alps. Lots to do year round.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Thanks for the info! DH and I will not be military but since you said that highway is dangerous too we will definitly avoid it! Do you happen to know why it is illegal for military and generally dangerous??

Quoting ditsyjo:

We lived near bitburg for 4 years and it was nice...toom marts are the placee to shop. things to see on weekend trips...luxenburg castle, paris, the black forest and the tropical islands resort near berlin all must visits. the people are basically very friendly most people in the area speak english though they appreciate it if you try to speak german... most of the time they will answer in english though. do not pass on the little highway between bitburg and spangdahlem... it is illegal for service men and dangerous for everyone. hope you enjoy your stay.

Due9
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Born in Germany then moved to US. Moved back to Germany and lived in Butzbach, near Geissen, for a few years. Lucky you! It is beautiful!

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM

not really dangerous to drive just to pass... lots of dips that are deeper than they look and can hide a car and lots of curves. as long as you stay in your own lane it is fine

Quoting rocknmom85:

Thanks for the info! DH and I will not be military but since you said that highway is dangerous too we will definitly avoid it! Do you happen to know why it is illegal for military and generally dangerous??

Quoting ditsyjo:

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:40 PM

forgot to mention the nearest cities of any size are trier, luxemburg and Kaiserslauten... the walk platz in treir is pretty cool... and there is a toys-r-us in K town.

LittleBirdFly
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I am originally from Germany! But I like it in the USA better. So will you be moving there temporarly or for good? Most people who have been there like it.

rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Just curious...what makes you prefer the U.S.? It will be for at least 3 years and possibly longer if we want to stay.

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

I am originally from Germany! But I like it in the USA better. So will you be moving there temporarly or for good? Most people who have been there like it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN