Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Any moms here from/live in Germany?

Posted by   + Show Post

So my DH may be getting a position in Southern Germany in the next 6 months, if that happens it looks like we will be moving there! It is all happening so fast, I am excited but nervous too. I am wondering if any moms are from that area and can tell me what to expect/advice for moving there as an American. Luckily my DH was stationed in Heidelberg for 3 years when he was in the Army so he knows the area, but this time we will be going as civilians. I have never been there myself. We will either be in Garmisch, Heidelberg, Bitburg or near Frankfurt. I have a ton to do in the mean time to prepare (it is looking highly likely at this point) but any tips would be appreciated, thanks!!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Replies (11-16):
rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM

What made you come to the U.S.? My Dh absolutely loved Germany, esspecially Garmisch, he said it was jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

Quoting Due9:

Born in Germany then moved to US. Moved back to Germany and lived in Butzbach, near Geissen, for a few years. Lucky you! It is beautiful!

Nerys-Kianna
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Born and raised in Germany, been on the US for 6 years now (hubby is in the ARMY). Was born near Stuttgart, but then my parents moved to Bavaria.
What's great is about Germany, they've public transportation everywhere, train, busses, subway. It's convenient if you don't have a car yet. The food and gas got expensive there. Autobahn is scary cuz in some places there's no speed limit. The food is awesome, missing some of it.

LittleBirdFly
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM

It might be hard to explaine or understand if you never been thru both. Its just a whole different way of lifestyle. Other that that I live in the south so I dont miss icy cold winters at all.

Quoting rocknmom85:

Just curious...what makes you prefer the U.S.? It will be for at least 3 years and possibly longer if we want to stay.

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

I am originally from Germany! But I like it in the USA better. So will you be moving there temporarly or for good? Most people who have been there like it.

KelliansMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Enjoy the adventure. I wish my husband company would send him to the German office :) it would be so much fun
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JMmomof2
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM
My mom was born in Germany but moves to US when she was 6. Good luck in the move
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM

That's true, I live in California so the weather will be quite a change for me. I like a little snow but not for months on end...and I like a lot of sunlight which I know will be less in Germany. However I am looking forward to the scenery and seeing the old castles, basically the sightseeing.

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

It might be hard to explaine or understand if you never been thru both. Its just a whole different way of lifestyle. Other that that I live in the south so I dont miss icy cold winters at all.

Quoting rocknmom85:

Just curious...what makes you prefer the U.S.? It will be for at least 3 years and possibly longer if we want to stay.

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

I am originally from Germany! But I like it in the USA better. So will you be moving there temporarly or for good? Most people who have been there like it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)