Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My 5 yr old has 2 cavities :(

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:21 AM
  • 22 Replies
I'm so upset! We brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and floss 2- times a week. I know we could do better with flossing but we brush! I check her teeth to make sure they are clean. The cavities are on her k-9 tooth and the molar behind it, right between the teeth. They are going to give her laughing gas and then do the fillings.

I have never had a cavity or any other issue with my teeth, is laughing gas effective? Any advice for making this easier for her?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaslilmen
by Kimmy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM
My now 6yr old had one when he was 4. He had the gas also for the filling. We took his favorite teddy just in case, but the office was great. He got to pick out a scented nose for the gas and a movie to watch. In the end I held his teddy more for me, when he was done he jumped out of the seat like nothing happened.
We brush daily too, some people are just more prone to cavities than others :(
fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Eh it isn't any big deal.  My 4yr old had 4 fillings and it isn't because we don't do what we are supposed too, he has soft teeth hereditary from his dad.  He didn't even get laughing gas and was in and out in 20mins.  It only becomes a big deal if you make it one.  Just talk it up and she will be good.

piwife
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM
.My daughter had 4 at that age. She was also had other issues( she was born with no enamel in her back molars) she rceived 2 babyroot canals and for silver crowns. She had laughing gas and something else. The treatment took 2 hrs that's including getting prep so the actually procedure was maybe an hr if that. She walked out of the procedure like nothing. Not once did she complain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerfectVirgo
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Dont let them gas her. Find a pediatric dentist who'll give her a juice to drink. Or maybe convince her to be a big girl and take a shot. My 6 year old has horrible teeth (well, dd9 does too) And they've gotten the juice in the past, but since the age of 6 they've both done shots. It's not too bad. I bribed my oldest with $200 (the price of the juice)

PerfectVirgo
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Same here. my kids have horrible teeth, but we have a GREAT dentist, trust is important to little ones.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Eh it isn't any big deal.  My 4yr old had 4 fillings and it isn't because we don't do what we are supposed too, he has soft teeth hereditary from his dad.  He didn't even get laughing gas and was in and out in 20mins.  It only becomes a big deal if you make it one.  Just talk it up and she will be good.

wickedfiress
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Brushing and flossing is much more about the health of your gums than your teeth. your teeth are bones, they are formed inside your body, they can't be changed, some people just have bad teeth. My daughter is horrible about brushing her teeth, but she's never had a cavity. My son is like super anal about brushing, flossing, using Listerine.... He has to have dental surgery last year to remove a couple of teeth that simply were "bad" basically hollow, and spacers put in their places until his permanent teeth grow in.
christina0607
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Teeth aren't bones. If they were they could rejuvenate and repair themselves. 

Life would be easier if they were. 

Quoting wickedfiress:

Brushing and flossing is much more about the health of your gums than your teeth. your teeth are bones, they are formed inside your body, they can't be changed, some people just have bad teeth. My daughter is horrible about brushing her teeth, but she's never had a cavity. My son is like super anal about brushing, flossing, using Listerine.... He has to have dental surgery last year to remove a couple of teeth that simply were "bad" basically hollow, and spacers put in their places until his permanent teeth grow in.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

aimhawk
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM

DD is 5 and they removed 3 teeth last week with the gas. She did amazing and wasn't in pain.

Aamy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM
If its between the teeth well its due to the lack of flossing. Its just baby teeth. Take better care of the adult teeth.
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM
What's bad about the gas? I thought it sounded less scary than a needle in the mouth, which was the other option. We don't have a pediatric dentist around here.

Quoting PerfectVirgo:

Dont let them gas her. Find a pediatric dentist who'll give her a juice to drink. Or maybe convince her to be a big girl and take a shot. My 6 year old has horrible teeth (well, dd9 does too) And they've gotten the juice in the past, but since the age of 6 they've both done shots. It's not too bad. I bribed my oldest with $200 (the price of the juice)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN