Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

You said what to my DD? kind of long and poll added

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM
  • 23 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I pay for it to be fixed?

Options:

yes get over it

no you shouldn't

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 55

View Results

ok so my DD is sleeping at her aunts house who lives around the corner. I see on facebook around 10 last night with her saying "wtf why can't kids listen my laptop is fried someone spilled water on it" . I tried calling her to see what happened but she never answered so I went to bed. Well this morning she is asking me does my husband know how to fix laptops. I ask her what happened she said well your daughter spilled water on my laptop. she said she lost it when she found out what happened and then lost it more when she found out it was my daughter who did it. To where my DD ran upstairs an balled her eyes out. She said her potty mouth went off and how her husband says it might he the hard drive on her laptop and how she feels bad that she lost it in my daughter who broke her laptop. 

SO now I am pissed at this point yes my daughter spilled water on your laptop and i will deal with that. But for her to tell me she lost it cursing at my daughter and yelling so much she ran away from you and hid. She keeps hinting around how my daughter broke it and how she has to pay for it  be fixed when her money gets in. I am not paying for it to be fixed call me wrong or childish. They owe us over 3 thousand dollars and there girls ripped something that was priceless to me that my great grandmother gave me before she passed but I didn't loose it on them i didn't tell her she needs to find a way to fix it that it was an accident. 

am I wrong for not even offering to pay for it to be fixed or even paying for it? 

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM
4 moms liked this

If they owe you $3,000 then I would just calmly explain in the nicest way possible that you are sorry what happened with the laptop and that you would be willing to pay $X amount towards a new one, and that they can just take it out of the $3,000 they owe you. Make sure you go in there with a set amount of what you're willing to take a loss of though.

Or, say that you're willing to have the money taken out of what they owe you, as long as they buy the same exact laptop that she had before. That way it more than likely isn't too expensive.  You could even offer to look at the laptop to figure out what it is and then do some research to see how much that same one is now, or something comparable.

I do think that if your DD broke it then you should have to pay, at least half. Just because they were jerks to you and your DD doesn't negate the fact that something valuable was broken.

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

This is tough.

I have to ask why her laptop was out, where your daughter could spill on it. And it was an accident.

If anything, going in on half would be appropriate. I would not pay for her whole laptop.

newmomat22
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM

thats what my husband said too I think thats a good idea thanks for the help.

Quoting GirlieGal76:

If they owe you $3,000 then I would just calmly explain in the nicest way possible that you are sorry what happened with the laptop and that you would be willing to pay $X amount towards a new one, and that they can just take it out of the $3,000 they owe you. Make sure you go in there with a set amount of what you're willing to take a loss of though.

Or, say that you're willing to have the money taken out of what they owe you, as long as they buy the same exact laptop that she had before. That way it more than likely isn't too expensive.  You could even offer to look at the laptop to figure out what it is and then do some research to see how much that same one is now, or something comparable.

I do think that if your DD broke it then you should have to pay, at least half. Just because they were jerks to you and your DD doesn't negate the fact that something valuable was broken.

newmomat22
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM

they were playing on it and from what I heard they told my DD to keep the drink away. My DD plays on my laptop all the time and I have yet to have a problem with her not listening when it comes to drinking around it. thanks for the help. 

Quoting LancesMom:

This is tough.

I have to ask why her laptop was out, where your daughter could spill on it. And it was an accident.

If anything, going in on half would be appropriate. I would not pay for her whole laptop.

motherslove82
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM
I would want proof that it was your daughter and not one of her kids. I would call around, find out how much it will cost to fix it, and tell her to take it out of what she owes you. I definitely would not give her money if she owes you money.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nurbabe82
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Quoting GirlieGal76:

Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I don't think you should have to pay for it if it was in fact an accident.  If they owe you that much money I'd tell her I wasn't giving her anything and take it out of the money she owes you.  OR you can tell her you want the money she owes you and once you get that, then you will give her money to get her comp fixed,.  I hate people that do shit like this especially with an amount that high

LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

the adult shouldve been more responcible and payed attention to what was going on. also, if she didn't want it broken, the kids shouldn't have been playing on it.

if she owes you that money, no you shouldn't have to pay for it. 

Quoting newmomat22:

they were playing on it and from what I heard they told my DD to keep the drink away. My DD plays on my laptop all the time and I have yet to have a problem with her not listening when it comes to drinking around it. thanks for the help. 

Quoting LancesMom:

This is tough.

Gertie594
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM
No you are not wrong IMO. I'm sure it was an accident. Besides she owes you money so tell her to just deduct the amount from what she owes. I hate people who borrow and don't pay back. Good luck. Hope your daughter is ok.
Gertie594
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Also, I would make sure she attempted to have it repaired and if that's not possible, then only buy something equal to the damaged one, preferably used.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)