Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Moms with boys

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM
  • 10 Replies

I have a 7 yr old. Is it normal behavior to be reminded what they have to do daily? I think he's old enough to know what he should do daily. I started a chart this week. Any of you have this issue and what has worked for you? 

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EsmeVincent
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a 5yr old and honestly I think its normal for boys and girls between the ages 4-16
1stpreggers
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM
I don't think it's really a boy issue, but some kids are more or less responsible than others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krise
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM

my 9 yr old has that same issue, hell my 13yr old does as well.

SterlingHeart
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM

nah at that age they just want to play ---  I loved the chart --- my son liked putting a happy face magnet next to each task 

Love2Cuddle
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Quoting SterlingHeart:

nah at that age they just want to play ---  I loved the chart --- my son liked putting a happy face magnet next to each task 

Did it work for you and encouraged him to do things himself? 

SterlingHeart
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I made it more like --- this is your list -- this is a must do list ---  So on his list at age 7 was pick up clothes an put in hamper / wash face, brush hair, teeth (2 times a day) put away toys on shelf / make your bed (no perfect but at least tidy) bath / shower

then on weekends he got a few extra asks like take out the bathroom trashes & dust coffee tables... small easy stuff to have him be a helper ---  

i am lucky my kids have never known the world without chores -- either you help out --- or you don't live in my house / we start kids on routine at age 4 with their rooms and grooming on their own -- then build from there.   

Quoting Love2Cuddle:

Quoting SterlingHeart:

Did it work for you and encouraged him to do things himself? 

SterlingHeart

"these ramblings courtesy of a mom over 40"

Schleetle
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM
My boys are the same way - one more than the other. We have a chart on the fridge too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM

My 10, 8(almost 11 and 9) and 6 year olds need reminders of EVERYTHING lol... We have charts, but I have to remind them to even look at the chart. They are getting better though. We do a weekly allowance($0.50 per year of age) and if I have to remind them(more than once) to look at the chart and get the chores done, they lose out on the check for the day and that day gets deducted from allowance..

Love2Cuddle
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Quoting SuperPickle:

My 10, 8(almost 11 and 9) and 6 year olds need reminders of EVERYTHING lol... We have charts, but I have to remind them to even look at the chart. They are getting better though. We do a weekly allowance($0.50 per year of age) and if I have to remind them(more than once) to look at the chart and get the chores done, they lose out on the check for the day and that day gets deducted from allowance..

Do you have this issue at school or it's just at home?

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM

actually at school they are really good about it LOL. Home their brains fall out.

Quoting Love2Cuddle:

Quoting SuperPickle:

Do you have this issue at school or it's just at home?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)