Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Thank you, McDonald's, for endangering my child's life with your carelessness!!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I went to get some breakfast this morning, and got the boys all set up in their chairs ready to eat. I went to step out of the room for a brief moment and as i was leaving i heard Benjamin, my 16 month old, start gagging. I looked up and his face was red, and he was choking, so I rushed to his side, and had to shove my fingers down his throat and make him vomit. Up comes half chewed, slobbery McMuffin, and A FUCKING CHUNK OF PLASTIC!!!!!!!! My one year old has respiratory issues and gets choked up very easily, i cant stand to think of what could have happened if i hadnt caught it in time!!! I am LIVID, and literally STILL shaking an hour later. I called the cooperate office via the advice of my brother inlaw (a police officer) and they are supposed to forward the information to the franchisers office, and have someone contact me. I also called my lawyers office and spoke with her paralegal about the incident. I am not one to raise a big stink over things, but People need to know about this carelessness. I work food service and i know first hand the ONLY excuse for something like this is not caring enough to pay attention!!! It does not take long to LOOK at what you are doing or make sure you got the wrapper off of something when you KNOW it is going in to the hands of the public. My child could have been seriously injured or worse because of this!!!!!!!!

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Replies (11-20):
Risley_Six
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

 Yes. it was the only food on the tray, the high chair and tray were completely cleaned, and he had nothing in his hands when i set him down (i know this because he was clapping and we do baby sign so he was moving his hands about, signing eat and such) there is nowhere else it could have came from.

Quoting amanda357:

Where was the plastic? In the mcmuffin?


 

andersongirl562
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
How do you know the plastic wasn't from your home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom_3.0
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Dude, chill out. Was not criticizing you; just trying to understand. Ok?


Quoting Risley_Six:

 he was gagging, i shoved my fingers in his mouth and made him puke, and mcmuffin and plastic came out. maybe i shouldnt have gagged him but i acted before i thought. i cant believe people are actually criticizing me as if , as a mother, you have never acted on instinct. he had not fully swallowed his food, it was still lodged in his throat, so it all came up when he gagged hard. Then the contents of his stomach followed suit and we had a nice, milky, mcmuffiny mess all over the highchair, if you must know the details.




Quoting mom_3.0:

If he was choking, the piece would be lodged in his trachea. When you vomit, your stomach contents come up through your esophagus. Not seeing how making him vomit would release the piece. In fact, I can only see it making things worse.



 


Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arwyn724
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM
15 moms liked this

I'm going to be the bad guy, but...

a) it's McDonalds, do your kids really need McMuffins?

b) minimum pay workers do not have the same concerns with the quality of service, it's McDonalds

c) I never put food in front of a child (especially ones young enough to be in high chairs) without thoroughly checking it, after all, it's McDonalds

iansusie
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry this happened. I really don't think you are being criticize, I think it is more of "be aware, you got lucky but that is not a good thing to do" So the rest of us reading, keep it in mind if it happens to our child.


Quoting Risley_Six:

 he was gagging, i shoved my fingers in his mouth and made him puke, and mcmuffin and plastic came out. maybe i shouldnt have gagged him but i acted before i thought. i cant believe people are actually criticizing me as if , as a mother, you have never acted on instinct. he had not fully swallowed his food, it was still lodged in his throat, so it all came up when he gagged hard. Then the contents of his stomach followed suit and we had a nice, milky, mcmuffiny mess all over the highchair, if you must know the details.


Quoting mom_3.0:

If he was choking, the piece would be lodged in his trachea. When you vomit, your stomach contents come up through your esophagus. Not seeing how making him vomit would release the piece. In fact, I can only see it making things worse.





pasteeater
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

 I can't understand how they didn't see that.  How scary.  I'm so glad your son is ok!!!

Risley_Six
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM

 He was clapping and signing "eat" when i took him to his chair, so i know nothing was in his hands. the chair and tray were clean, (i even took the tray out of the dish drainer, and wiped it down with a towel and looked over it to make sure it was clean, as i always do, because i washed it after he had a small snack when he first woke up (he always eats his vitamin and a bit of dried cereal or something and then eats an actual breakfast later.) not to mention, it is a type of cellophane, with a zig zagged edge and i have nothing that would have had anything close to that on it. the only thing he had anywhere near him was the mcmuffin...he didnt even have anything on but a diaper because he had just had a poop-splosion lol

Quoting andersongirl562:

How do you know the plastic wasn't from your home?


 

becky.riley
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this


That's exactly what I was thinking. That and calling a lawyer is a bit extreme.

Quoting Arwyn724:

I'm going to be the bad guy, but...

a) it's McDonalds, do your kids really need McMuffins?

b) minimum pay workers do not have the same concerns with the quality of service, it's McDonalds

c) I never put food in front of a child (especially ones young enough to be in high chairs) without thoroughly checking it, after all, it's McDonalds



Risley_Six
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM

 

We seriously, never do fast food. I got a brand new vehicle yesterday and wanted an excuse to drive it lol and was like "ooohh,, i can go through drivethrus now!" because the window in my old van doesnt roll down. I myself work at a subway, and quality is our number one concern. Granted, we are much smaller than mcdonalds, with only 9 or 10 employees, and not as busy, but it is not hard to just pay attention to what you are doing, its really just common sense.

Quoting Arwyn724:

I'm going to be the bad guy, but...

a) it's McDonalds, do your kids really need McMuffins?

b) minimum pay workers do not have the same concerns with the quality of service, it's McDonalds

c) I never put food in front of a child (especially ones young enough to be in high chairs) without thoroughly checking it, after all, it's McDonalds


 

Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM

There is no excuse for a big piece of plastic being in his food. I am glad he is not seriously hurt because of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)