Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Thank you, McDonald's, for endangering my child's life with your carelessness!!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I went to get some breakfast this morning, and got the boys all set up in their chairs ready to eat. I went to step out of the room for a brief moment and as i was leaving i heard Benjamin, my 16 month old, start gagging. I looked up and his face was red, and he was choking, so I rushed to his side, and had to shove my fingers down his throat and make him vomit. Up comes half chewed, slobbery McMuffin, and A FUCKING CHUNK OF PLASTIC!!!!!!!! My one year old has respiratory issues and gets choked up very easily, i cant stand to think of what could have happened if i hadnt caught it in time!!! I am LIVID, and literally STILL shaking an hour later. I called the cooperate office via the advice of my brother inlaw (a police officer) and they are supposed to forward the information to the franchisers office, and have someone contact me. I also called my lawyers office and spoke with her paralegal about the incident. I am not one to raise a big stink over things, but People need to know about this carelessness. I work food service and i know first hand the ONLY excuse for something like this is not caring enough to pay attention!!! It does not take long to LOOK at what you are doing or make sure you got the wrapper off of something when you KNOW it is going in to the hands of the public. My child could have been seriously injured or worse because of this!!!!!!!!

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Replies (21-30):
Arwyn724
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I agree, but I never expect it from McDonalds, the three in our town pay squat, hire 90% non-English speaking workers, and are filthy.  Literally, you need to point to the items you want, they can't even take orders correctly, I would only go there in an emergency (and I can't think of what that would be). My kids go there, but it's their money, so I don't say much.

Quoting Risley_Six:


We seriously, never do fast food. I got a brand new vehicle yesterday and wanted an excuse to drive it lol and was like "ooohh,, i can go through drivethrus now!" because the window in my old van doesnt roll down. I myself work at a subway, and quality is our number one concern. Granted, we are much smaller than mcdonalds, with only 9 or 10 employees, and not as busy, but it is not hard to just pay attention to what you are doing, its really just common sense.

Quoting Arwyn724:

I'm going to be the bad guy, but...

a) it's McDonalds, do your kids really need McMuffins?

b) minimum pay workers do not have the same concerns with the quality of service, it's McDonalds

c) I never put food in front of a child (especially ones young enough to be in high chairs) without thoroughly checking it, after all, it's McDonalds




Arwyn 724 

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM

 oh my glad your little guy is ok   we eat at mcdonalds alot with my boys 

got2monsters
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM
6 moms liked this
im very glad you were lucky this time and youre baby is now safe, however i must say Schauseil is right, its not proper procedure and more times than not does do more damage. a blind finger sweep often causes the obstruction to lodge harder in place, sometimes making removal impossible.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND im NOT criticizing because ive been in this situation before, my son almost died on a piece of candy a couple yrs ago. he only lived because my dh and i both knew infant heimlich procedure, i started and dh took over halfway through and finally got it out, by the time it did come up he was turning blue. paramedics confirmed any hesitation or anything done differently and he wouldve died right there in our arms.

im only chiming in to suggest maybe going to a fire station and requesting they do a short demonstration on proper infant heimlich, that way if anything ever happens again you will know exactly the most effective and safest way to do it. they will do it for free with no hassle. its an incredibly valuable skill to have and its better to know it and not need it, than need it and not know it. so glad your baby is ok.


Quoting Risley_Six:

 


I panicked and did the best i could in an emergency situation. i have no regrets, as NOT making him throw it up could have seriously harmed him. He was choking and i did what my instincts told me to do.




Quoting Schauseil:

Thats aweful. NEVER force someone to vomit while choking or do a blind sweep, you could have made the situation worse.



 


Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM
3 moms liked this
wasn't criticizing, just giving you info for the future. any food still in his throat could have been lodged in the treacha by your fingers. As long as a person is coughing they are breathing and should be left alone until professionals arrive.


Quoting Risley_Six:

 he was gagging, i shoved my fingers in his mouth and made him puke, and mcmuffin and plastic came out. maybe i shouldnt have gagged him but i acted before i thought. i cant believe people are actually criticizing me as if , as a mother, you have never acted on instinct. he had not fully swallowed his food, it was still lodged in his throat, so it all came up when he gagged hard. Then the contents of his stomach followed suit and we had a nice, milky, mcmuffiny mess all over the highchair, if you must know the details.




Quoting mom_3.0:

If he was choking, the piece would be lodged in his trachea. When you vomit, your stomach contents come up through your esophagus. Not seeing how making him vomit would release the piece. In fact, I can only see it making things worse.



 


Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
3boysmommaNY
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM

 So glad your baby is ok!! My boys all got a rare bug that is found in Saudi Arabia, and food poisoning in the same trip once. Since then we have not eaten at a McD's. Gross...
So glad everything turned out ok!!

momma0ffive
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM
7 moms liked this
glad he is ok, but why is a one year old eating a Mcmuffin
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amanda357
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Lol what is wrong with it?

Quoting momma0ffive:

glad he is ok, but why is a one year old eating a Mcmuffin
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM
4 moms liked this
Serious overreaction IMO. Accidents happen. Plastic is see through. They may not have seen it. Good grief.

Quoting becky.riley:


That's exactly what I was thinking. That and calling a lawyer is a bit extreme.


Quoting Arwyn724:

I'm going to be the bad guy, but...

a) it's McDonalds, do your kids really need McMuffins?

b) minimum pay workers do not have the same concerns with the quality of service, it's McDonalds

c) I never put food in front of a child (especially ones young enough to be in high chairs) without thoroughly checking it, after all, it's McDonalds




Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kchellejones330
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM
OMG I'm so sorry I would have been all kinds of childish over this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maevelyn
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I found a plastic bag in my drink when I was a kid. They told my mom that they "didn't know I hadn't put it in there." She didn't ask for anything but they were just so "so what? we're not going to do anything or give you anything." right away it was rude. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)