Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my 4 month old is sleeping face down. Neep advice

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM
  • 16 Replies

A little backstory. My son had colic really bad so we were swaddling him every night in a swaddler. He managed to flip over in his crib with the swaddler so we immediately stopped using it since his hands were bound and he couldn't flip himself back over. Apparently he traded one comfort for another. He insists on sleeping with his face buried into the mattress. I can hear him breathing really heavy through the monitor and that is how I know he is back on his face after I've switched him back onto his back. My husband and I aren't sleeping. I think we are especially panicked since our good friends neighbor's 6 month old suffocated in his crib last week. I know that there are probably different things to try, but there are so many mixed reviews about what to do, what to use, etc. I did take everything out of his crib(bumper, blankets, etc) but I know that there are mixed opinions about whether bumper pads are helpful or harmful. I would imagine that I am probably panicking over nothing, but due to the recent events of that 6 month old, we are just not sleeping because we are so worried. I feel like a first time mom all over again with all of this worrying. Any tips would be great!

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Emmy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM

have you tried moving his head after he falls asleep?

Andysmomma33
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Yes and he moves it right back. For some reason he really likes sleeping this way.

Quoting emmy526:

emmy526
by Emmy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

its most likely just a phase...as long as there is nothing around his face or head while he's sleeping,  he oughta be okay

Quoting Andysmomma33:

Yes and he moves it right back. For some reason he really likes sleeping this way.

Quoting emmy526:

Indianamomto4
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM

My youngest ds was a horrible sleeper until 4mos. when he started rolling over and sleeping on his tummy. I asked the doctor what I should do since I couldn't flip him like a pancake every 10 minutes since he would just flip right back to tummy. Our pedi said as long as he can roll over on his own to leave him be.... I know worrying about sids is awful especially since you know someone who just went throught this tragedy, but try to research things to do to lower your risk. I know a big one is not having your baby overly warm, keeping the room temp lower and using a ceiling fan even in the winter.

Control what you can and try not to stress about what you can't.

tnkrbell860
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM

My Daughter REFUSES to sleep on her back. We have her sleep in her hammock because although she always has her head off to the side on her belly and can roll over, I am not ready to sleep at night if she is on her belly. I let her take her naps on her belly though. She is almost 5 months (almost 3.5 adjusted...as she was 6wks early) but has wanted to be on her belly for at least 2 months now. This is the hammock she sleeps in...(she is a lot bigger than this now lol) 

But also, her new thing when she sleeps is putting her blankie or whatever balnket she can get her hands on by her face....So unless she is next to me on the couch napping she doesn't get a blankie 

TheMommaJessie
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM

my ds & dd both slept on their bellies since birth. dd is almost 4 months ds is 2 years. they learn on their own how 2 move their heads so its not in the matteress. if you are 2 scared 2 sleep get the sensor mat that detects if they quit breathing it alerts you with an alarm ive never used it though

Andysmomma33
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Thanks for the tips, ladies. It makes me feel a little better to hear from y'all that it's okay.

Andysmomma33
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Does the hammock have waist straps like a bouncer chair? If he isn't buckled in he can turn over in a bouncer. If it has sraps this may work for us!

Quoting tnkrbell860:

My Daughter REFUSES to sleep on her back. We have her sleep in her hammock because although she always has her head off to the side on her belly and can roll over, I am not ready to sleep at night if she is on her belly. I let her take her naps on her belly though. She is almost 5 months (almost 3.5 adjusted...as she was 6wks early) but has wanted to be on her belly for at least 2 months now. This is the hammock she sleeps in...(she is a lot bigger than this now lol) 

But also, her new thing when she sleeps is putting her blankie or whatever balnket she can get her hands on by her face....So unless she is next to me on the couch napping she doesn't get a blankie 

Mel0dy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I was sooooo worried when DD started doing that, so one night I just sat there and watched her, when she could not breath she would move her head to the side. I would just chill in his room for a bit after hes sleeping and watch him, maybe after seeing what he does you wont be so freaked out? 

tnkrbell860
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Yes, there are straps :D just like a bouncer. In this picture my Daughter was only about 4lbs so the strap went right up to her neck. They sell these at Walmart and Target other places too. I actually got ours from a yard sale from a friend. BEST THING EVER! It also folds easily for storage or travel. We take it EVERYWHERE. Also comes in different styles. Just make sure when you wash it before putting it back together to let it air dry completely, if not it can get mold on the bottom piece (there was a voluntary recall about that...ours has no issues at all...if you maintain it properly you won't have a mold issue)

http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-rock-n-play-sleeper/-/A-14287618

Quoting Andysmomma33:

Does the hammock have waist straps like a bouncer chair? If he isn't buckled in he can turn over in a bouncer. If it has sraps this may work for us!

Quoting tnkrbell860:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)