Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my 4 month old is sleeping face down. Neep advice

Posted by   + Show Post

A little backstory. My son had colic really bad so we were swaddling him every night in a swaddler. He managed to flip over in his crib with the swaddler so we immediately stopped using it since his hands were bound and he couldn't flip himself back over. Apparently he traded one comfort for another. He insists on sleeping with his face buried into the mattress. I can hear him breathing really heavy through the monitor and that is how I know he is back on his face after I've switched him back onto his back. My husband and I aren't sleeping. I think we are especially panicked since our good friends neighbor's 6 month old suffocated in his crib last week. I know that there are probably different things to try, but there are so many mixed reviews about what to do, what to use, etc. I did take everything out of his crib(bumper, blankets, etc) but I know that there are mixed opinions about whether bumper pads are helpful or harmful. I would imagine that I am probably panicking over nothing, but due to the recent events of that 6 month old, we are just not sleeping because we are so worried. I feel like a first time mom all over again with all of this worrying. Any tips would be great!

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Replies (11-16):
hnischke
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM
It made me nervous too. My son is 41/2 mo and he's been on his tummy since he was about 1 mo. He has tracheomalacia and has to wear an apnea monitor when he sleeps. The ENT suggested he sleep on his tummy with the head of the bed slightly elevated. His pedi obviously doesn't like the suggestion but agrees with it. I think it would be a lot harder for me to do if he did t have a monitor on telling me if he stops breathing for 20 sec. or more, too fast/slow heart rate. He doesn't sleep more than 20 minutes on his back. I'm comforted by him rolling over now too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM

my daughter is 8 months and prefers sleeping on her stomach. i'll lay her down on her back and she rolls herself over and rests her head on her hands and sleeps like that. she's been doing it for months and she's ok.

kansasmom1978
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Our doc said as along as they can roll over on their own it's okay.

MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM
I'm so sorry about your neighbor's baby! I know it must be scary, but try not to worry too much. Some studies have shown that using a pacifier can reduce the risk, but I'm not sure about anything else you haven't already mentioned. If you breastfeed, that reduces risk. Also, make sure you never put cereal in a bottle, as that has been shown to increase risk of sids and a whole host of other things.Maybe a bouncy seat that lays flat and can have baby strapped in?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM

the burying face into mattress is concerning!

I would look into what the other PP suggested(hammock for babies)).. and I would keep baby in your room at night. 

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I would try a sleep positioner. Imo, the benefits would outweigh the risk if he's sleeping on his face. Make sure air flow in his room is good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)