Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Postpartum birth control

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM
  • 16 Replies
I just had my baby four days ago and I need to have a birth control method lined up for my four week appointment in March. I'm wondering what birth control methods all you mommies have tried and liked. Or didn't like. And why? I can read up on all the options and possible side effects but I'd like some personal views to help me make a decision.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I ended up not going on birth control after delivery because it's dangerous for me. Here's a bump for other moms to see :)

JacksMom1221
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM
If you are bf'ing I'd be cautious. I started taking bc pills and it made my supply dry up :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM
I'm on the mini pill. Safe while breastfeeding. I like it but you have to take it at the same time everyday. So I set an alarm on my phone to remind me.
missamanda86
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM

abstinence! no risk of failure there!

mommaslilmen
by Kimmy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Ive always breastfed so no estrogen for me. I've used the mini pill, implanon, and paraguard. Hormones and I do not get along at all and I can't use the iud anymore.

I know not everyone is a fan, but planned parenthiod has a little survey thing and will give you the "best" options according to how you answer. Sadly I'm left with condoms (which we hate) pull out, and diaphragm and spermicide as my only workable options. (Natural family planning is not an option with our crazy busy life)
LizzieAnnesMom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I would have liked Nuvaring a helluva lot more if it had actually worked.

Nerys-Kianna
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I was on the regular pill before I got pregnant while on it (took it every day same time, he simply was meant to be I guess). Now, I am on  the mini pill cu my lil chunkster is addicted to the special mama juice :)

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:46 AM
Lol. It's quite hard to abstain from my husband. We like sex with each other too much.

Quoting missamanda86:

abstinence! no risk of failure there!

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:49 AM
Your aviator works so well with your comment.

I've always wondered about nuvaring. The sample in the office looks like it would never fit in my vag. Of course, neither does my baby's head.... :/

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

I would have liked Nuvaring a helluva lot more if it had actually worked.

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:51 AM
Is the survey an online thing or would I have to go into an office to check into it?

Quoting mommaslilmen:

Ive always breastfed so no estrogen for me. I've used the mini pill, implanon, and paraguard. Hormones and I do not get along at all and I can't use the iud anymore.

I know not everyone is a fan, but planned parenthiod has a little survey thing and will give you the "best" options according to how you answer. Sadly I'm left with condoms (which we hate) pull out, and diaphragm and spermicide as my only workable options. (Natural family planning is not an option with our crazy busy life)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN