Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Outta wack schedule with 2 kids!! Help!

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 8 Replies

So after my 2nd son was born over a year ago I haven't really wanted to cook or clean or do laundry. When I had just my 1st son everything was perfect. How do I get back in the swing of things? Anybody else have this problem or is it just me. If you did how did u fix it. 

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Having a second is definitely hard on out schedules and even harder when their babies because they demand so much attention. It is really hard to get back in the swing of things but I have found that setting myself goals for each day is awesome and let's me feel accomplished while getting stuff done. Plus after a week or so it becomes routine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I'm having that problem with just one lol. Hope someone has some good advice for you!

connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM

BUMP!

iamcafemom83
by Rah-Rah on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Well the first year is by far the hardest! Schedules are constantly changing. Naps, feeding times, etc.

Now that there is hopefully some regularity with napping and feeding (for now!) you should be able to squeeze things in.

Everyday, I...wake up early (before the kids) and go for a walk. Come back, the kids are up. While the kids eat b'fast, I'll start laundry. After b'fast , I'll change the loads out (if I have more than one for the day, if I do it everyday, it's a load per day for us).
We then continue with our day. Sometimes we will meet friends for a play date, or run errands. When we come home for nap time (at 2), I will relax. I do nothing. At most, I will fold laundry and watch a show. When the kids get up from their nap, they have a small snack, I get dinner started. I then make them help me clean lol I get most of my cleaning while dinner is on. I could do it while they nap, yes, but I choose to take that time for me:)
I'll load the DW, clean the floors, etc. the kids pick up toys, and wipe things down.

I used to clean and pick up throughout the day, only to have things still be messy later. With this type of routine, I am ale to go about our day, and by the time dinner is done, I have a clean house.

On the days we don't have errands or play dates, I will do the bathrooms, sweep the porch, etc.

Another piece of my success is getting up before the kids. It wasn't always like that, though. When you get to the point where your youngest is cruising through the night, give it a shot. Makes a big difference waking on your own, vs the kids waking you....even if it is at the crack of,dawn:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Its really easy to get lazy and continue that habit. You just have to make yourself do it until it becomes habit.
Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I have found both times that I'm pretty terrible at getting things done for much of the first year of our baby's life.  I mean, I do the basics, but not super efficiently and not really to my liking.  But it seems to get easier after that.  After that time frame, babies start becoming toddlers and while they still need an enormous amount of your time and atttention, it's not quite like having an infant in the house, you know?  For me, two things I did was make myself a cleaning schedule and figure out when I'm the most energetic.  I've always known that I'm more of a morning person, so first thing I try to light a fire under my butt and get some things done because I know by that afternoon I will not feel the same type of energy.   A lot of days by 8 am I've already cleaned the whole kitchen, gotten a load of laundry in and have maybe started in some other chore I need to do that day.  This way, I start my day with a feeling of accomplishment.  I know that sounds really dorky, but it seems to work for me. 

gilbertgrl627
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:38 PM

lol, I'm still working on getting my groove back, too. I had baby #3 almost a year ago, and DD started kindergarten this past fall.....and I feel like I just can't get into a good groove. Some days are great, and I'll get on a roll for 3-4 days, and then BAM! Someone gets sick, or DS2's teeth begin to move, or.....something happens and it just completely throws me off. I hate it. lol.

I'm hoping it'll get better as they get a little older. Maybe a little more hectic, but a little better. lol. I wish I had some advice for you, but I've got nothing. lol. So, I guess my reply is a little "bump" for ya.

Nerys-Kianna
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I gave birth to DS3 5 month ago now. Our schedule change almost daily. I still get my other 2 DS up (if they are not already), put their clothes out, pack lubch for my 6 1/2 year old one, fix my coffee and preclean the kitchen, then I pack all my kids into the car and drop DS1 off at school. Home, if DS3 is still happy, I'll finish my kitchen, get the dishwasher started and fix me some breakfast, if not, well, the coffee will do til lunch time then. DS2 is usually playing or since he got the hang of reading, he's challenging himself with a book. If there's laundry to be done, I put it in the washer and later in the dryer, lunch time is quick and easy anf back to the boys til it's time to pick up DS1. Back home, I mostly start cooking and while my stuff is cooking away, I can once again tend DS3 who mostly wanna get held or fed while I cook and help DS1 with his homework. Before I sit down for dinner myself, I make DS3 his food (started making my own babyfood) and fed him first. After dinner we put everything in the sink and it's there til morning, since I've to tend to DS3. Big boys go to bed by 8:00pm and I'll carch a cat nap here or there since DS3 doesn't sleep through the night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)