Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Social Security Number Question

Posted by   + Show Post

Unfortunately I have misplaced both of my daughter's SS cards (seperate times). I am in the process of ordering them new cards but I am wondering if the SS office will release their SSN's to me over the phone after proper verification?

Thank you for your help!

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Replies (21-29):
lovehimforever
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM

No

fstysxofthebtt
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

For the kids all I needed was birth certificate and immunizations. But for me to change them they had a form to fill out there and I needed my ID. My ID had my right address on it so that's what I used as a proof of address. So, not really a lot of things. But they definitely won't give it over the phone lol.

ETA~ I think the birth certificate was optional if you brought the immunizations :)

Quoting needadvice1983:

Depends on the state. I had to get my DS's replaced and all I had to bring in was a copy of his birth certificate and my marriage license (to show my maiden name changed to my married name since the mothers maiden name is on the childs birth cert). Your state is crazy to want all of that! But I doubt, OP, that they will give it to you over the phone. 

Quoting fstysxofthebtt:

No they won't. They will require a signed and stamped copy of vaccinations from the doctors office. You will have to go in and provide them with your id, proof of address, birth certificates, forms filled out from their office, and the copy of vaccinations.

This is a FOR SURE, 100% positive answer. I just had to do it with my DS and DD.

fstysxofthebtt
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Why don't you just look up the website and see for yourself? 

crafthag
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM
I've called and asked for my kids numbers before. They gave them to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
susieQ680
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:21 PM

yep they should

greenie63
by Nancy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM

From a social security technical benefits expert, my SO, the answer to your question is NO. 

Go in person but you will need documents to verify who you are, and documents for the children before they release that information. 

Did you claim them on your taxes last year? If so do you have a copy of your returns? Their numbers will be on the returns. 

greenie63
by Nancy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM

This is directly from the website: 

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/291/~/replace-a-social-security-card-for-a-child

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/2285/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzYwMjA5NDczL3NpZC9uUWxoRGRpbA%3D%3D

Rhonda142
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:03 PM

No you will have to go to the ss office and they will give you a print out if you have a copy of last years taxes you can get it. 

redhead-bedhead
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Not over the phone but you can go get them at the office.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)