Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cloth diapers?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM
  • 9 Replies

Is there any benefits? Would it be a bad idea to switch from disposable to cloth this late in the game? (11 month old) Is it more difficult to potty train a child who wears cloth diapers since it feels so similiar to underwear?

Our God is healer, awesome in power!

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Nicole1357
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:29 PM

BUMP!

elkmomma
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know about potty training, but I can see it taking longer.  I switched back an forth until DS was ready to start training then I went with the pull ups.  DS was (still is) susceptible to rashes and the switching back an forth kept them to a minimum.

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM
My disposable diaper and pull up wearing dd was horrible to train. She couldn't feel the wetness and it was comfy to pee in a pull up. My cloth kids took to toilet training easily.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicole1357
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I can see how that would make them want to go to the potty. What about washing them? Is that a hassle?

Quoting norahsmommy:

My disposable diaper and pull up wearing dd was horrible to train. She couldn't feel the wetness and it was comfy to pee in a pull up. My cloth kids took to toilet training easily.

Our God is healer, awesome in power!

KeikiSmiles
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd say that it's not to late to start.  You can also resale your cloth diapers after you're done or save for the next child. 

I heard that it's easier to potty train children who wear cloth diapers because they can feel the wetness.  (Cloth diapers dd used were not similar to underwear in that they were much bulkier underwear.)

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:48 PM
It's an extra load of laundry twice a week. We have 4 kids. That amount extra is barely noticed around here ;).

Quoting Nicole1357:

I can see how that would make them want to go to the potty. What about washing them? Is that a hassle?

Quoting norahsmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Join the cuties with cloth booties group on here.

Cloth diapering is ALWAYS a good idea. If your considering it, just do it. You'll never feel the same way about disposables again.

We have been in cloth from birth and I love it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
starbuckmom03
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Its never to late to switch to cloth!!!

I have heard both sides to potty training when using cloth.  Some say kids train sooner some say later.  I really think it depends on the maturity of the kid.

Have fun with the cloth.  It will save you money and to be honest, kids with cloth diapers have cuter booties!!

MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM
I am on my third kid in cloth, over five years. I don't get excited about it anymore, but it is still the better choice for my family. I have a ten month old and a (very stubborn) three year old that is in cloth part time. I feel sad when we have to use disposables. They're expensive, they stink, and they're boring. I have an extra load of laundry twice a week. As PP said, it's hardly a blip on my radar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN