Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

With all this talk of a blizzard in new england...

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM
  • 47 Replies
3 moms liked this

Does anyone here remember the blizzard of '78?

I was little but I rememebr it because I ahd to be taken by a police car to the hospital. My mother had made us tuna sandwiches but didn't take the top of the can off all the way. I completely sliced my pinkie off. no one could drive so she had to put me in a police car and have them take me. ....and my pinkie, lol.

Looking back at pictures...it wasn't even that much snow, lol.

good thing these days we have real plows...and really don't need to worry about that.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liveforever
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Ouch!!!!

I wasnt alive in 78 but my dad showed me pictures of how bad it was here in Ohio. My mom lived in Cali and didnt have to worry about snow.

christina0607
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM

It's funny what was considered "bad" back then. In 24 hours Ohio got about a foot. Indiana got it the worst at the most about 3 feet.

I just find it crazy that they are comparing this storm to the blizzard of 78....that couldn't happen again. The issue with that was poor planning and lesser equipment. Now 35 years later...it's not that big a deal. 

Quoting liveforever:

Ouch!!!!

I wasnt alive in 78 but my dad showed me pictures of how bad it was here in Ohio. My mom lived in Cali and didnt have to worry about snow.

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I do!  I remember that my neighbors came over to play in the snow and we almost lost the littlest one since the snow was so high and she was so short! lol

Arwyn724
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I remember it.  My cousin & I spent three days shoveling our driveway out to the road.  Then, two hours after we got there, the road plow came by and closed us in again.  Nothing moved in our town for a week, but it was nice not to have to work...free vacation.

ausomezombie2.0
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Ouch. I wasn't alive yet..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
greenie63
by Nancy on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, what a way to remember the blizzard, that sounds horrible. Yep I remember the blizzard of 78, I was a sophomore in high school and we had a ski trip planned. The trip was cancelled and I took that as an omen that I should never ski lol. 

christina0607
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Wow I didn't think you were that old. no offence really...but that makes you 50? It's funny the impression you get of people, and how different reality is, lol. 

Quoting greenie63:

Wow, what a way to remember the blizzard, that sounds horrible. Yep I remember the blizzard of 78, I was a sophomore in high school and we had a ski trip planned. The trip was cancelled and I took that as an omen that I should never ski lol. 

greenie63
by Nancy on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Almost. I have a few more months of the 40's. Then I qualify for all kinds of senior discounts, :-(

Quoting christina0607:

Wow I didn't think you were that old. no offence really...but that makes you 50? It's funny the impression you get of people, and how different reality is, lol. 

Quoting greenie63:

grammarpolice
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Wow, I sure do remember it - I was in 8th grade - same as my oldest son is now. In fact, the same school, LOL! 

grammarpolice
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I found this from it:

http://www.hurricanes-blizzards-noreasters.com/78_blizzard_newsday.jpg

(sorry, I guess I didn't make it clicky...it's just a picture of cars stranded on Route 110 - about 30 miles up the Island from me - may interest anyone out there that lives on Long Island...)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN