Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

With all this talk of a blizzard in new england...

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone here remember the blizzard of '78?

I was little but I rememebr it because I ahd to be taken by a police car to the hospital. My mother had made us tuna sandwiches but didn't take the top of the can off all the way. I completely sliced my pinkie off. no one could drive so she had to put me in a police car and have them take me. ....and my pinkie, lol.

Looking back at pictures...it wasn't even that much snow, lol.

good thing these days we have real plows...and really don't need to worry about that.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
bmack2107
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:38 AM

I remember a good one in like '97 or somewhere around there here in NW Indiana. I was young, probably 8 or 9... but it had to be about 3 feet of snow!

diaperstodating
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:48 AM
I wasn't alive in 1978.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
squeekers
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I was 9 yrs old and vividly remember having to leave our two story house by climbing out my upstairs bedroom window. The front door, garage door and back door were covered in snow. We had improvised snow shoes and walked cross our back yard to my grandparent's farm. Gramma had a good tractor-truck snow plow so Pop & my big brother worked on trying to dig some people out. I remember walking with mom with twigs to find any "almost" snow covered chimneys, too.

I'm an atheistic Humanist.
I love being opinionated about a lot of things.
SAHM of one teen DD. Married since 1989.
Awarenesses I follow: Epilepsy & Down Syndrome.
I am: Lactose & Alcohol intolerant.
.Funfetti.
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Can we get a pic of the pinkie now? 

I didn't exist until 10 years later, btw. 

connietrrll
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM

We had one in 92. I only know that because my daughter was born in 92. We took my son and her out with my neices and nephews. The kids got tons of candy because no one else was out!

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Does anyone remember the blizzard on Halloween in 91'?? That was awesome!!

amberdotsmom
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I remember when the shoveling was done there were two huge mounds of snow at the end of the driveway on either side.  My BFF at the time dug out one side, I dug the other and we had two massive snow forts which made for some great snowball fights.  I can't picture anything else about it but those forts.

CarolinaGirl88
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Holy shit! What were tuna cans made out of back in the 70s?? Did they get it back on ok?

Leah3333
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Nope I didn't even exist yet, and my parents were still living in Ireland in 1978

AMCMSM
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:28 AM

I don't remember what year it was .... Must have been 78 cause my brothers were newborns my dad built an igloo in the back yard. We had real winters then every year. Not like now...and silver thaws a few times every winter. 

loving.life
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Something even worse happened a couple years ago... buffalo had a audden storm that stranded hundreds of cars on the thruway overnight.

Quoting christina0607:

It's funny what was considered "bad" back then. In 24 hours Ohio got about a foot. Indiana got it the worst at the most about 3 feet.

I just find it crazy that they are comparing this storm to the blizzard of 78....that couldn't happen again. The issue with that was poor planning and lesser equipment. Now 35 years later...it's not that big a deal. 

Quoting liveforever:

Ouch!!!!

I wasnt alive in 78 but my dad showed me pictures of how bad it was here in Ohio. My mom lived in Cali and didnt have to worry about snow.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN