Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How to rebuild my credit score?!?!?!!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

PLEASE, I am in desperate need of how to rebuild my credit score.  Are there any groups within Cafemom that would be more helpful?  Or is their someone within this group that can give me some wonderful advice/tips???

TIA:)

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
elm498
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Ladies, thank you for all the suggestions!!!!!!

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
You might want to check out the Dave Ramsey fan group on here...and check out his books at the library (Total Money Makeover is great!). It will help you not only build your credit but manage your money better so that you won't have to worry about this in the future :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elm498
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM

IDK.  Last week I applied for a card at Kohl's and I was denied.  I received a letter on Wednesday saying I did not have any credit history.  WHAT?!?!?!!!!!  I've had credit cards since I was 21 and I'm now 47.  I am looking into this.  Today I transferred my phone service into my name, from my parents (they bought it for me as a present years ago), and I was told my credit rating was a "B".  IDK what the heck is going on.  The company whom Kohl's did a credit check through told me Kohl's never requested any credit history on me.  Kohl's suggests I try to apply online, so that's what I'm going to do now.

Quoting Kitschy:

What's your score now?

mirage74
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM

My husband is a loan officer at a credit union.  I asked him about this and he said the best way to start is to get a secured visa credit card.

elm498
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Thanks for the info.!

Quoting mirage74:

Husband is a loan officer at a credit union.  I asked him about this and he said the best way to start is to get a secured visa credit card.

illinoismommy83
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM

An in-use line of credit with 100% on time payments will work. Use a credit card for gas and groceries and pay it off monthly.

elm498
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I just did an online application for a credit card at Kohl's and I was approved!!!!  I think this is all I need for credit cards.  We paid off all our credit cards years ago and I don't want to get back into the payments and hassles with credit cards.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Quoting illinoismommy83:

An in-use line of credit with 100% on time payments will work. Use a credit card for gas and groceries and pay it off monthly.

je80ss
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I was told Kohl's is very strict with their credit stipulations.

Quoting elm498:

IDK.  Last week I applied for a card at Kohl's and I was denied.  I received a letter on Wednesday saying I did not have any credit history.  WHAT?!?!?!!!!!  I've had credit cards since I was 21 and I'm now 47.  I am looking into this.  Today I transferred my phone service into my name, from my parents (they bought it for me as a present years ago), and I was told my credit rating was a "B".  IDK what the heck is going on.  The company whom Kohl's did a credit check through told me Kohl's never requested any credit history on me.  Kohl's suggests I try to apply online, so that's what I'm going to do now.

Quoting Kitschy:

What's your score now?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elm498
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I was just approved for a Kohl's charge.

Quoting je80ss:

I was told Kohl's is very strict with their credit stipulations.
Quoting elm498:

Quoting Kitschy:

What's your score now?

illinoismommy83
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Even if you only use your Kohls card to buy a candy or a pair of socks every month, paying it off on time will be a HUGE help. Make sure you buy something every month so you can make a payment every month. My credit has improved vastly from having that 100% on time monthly payment.

Quoting elm498:

I just did an online application for a credit card at Kohl's and I was approved!!!!  I think this is all I need for credit cards.  We paid off all our credit cards years ago and I don't want to get back into the payments and hassles with credit cards.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)