Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Legal Question about a school

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM
  • 56 Replies

My daughter has ADHD and her teacher and principal sent home a letter yesterday telling us that if she is not on meds she needs to be kept home. She had a hard day but did not cause any harm to anyone else or helself... Are they allowed to do this? I am tired of it, if she is not on meds they send her home and tell us that she can not be there without them.

***UPDATE*** OK she is on an IEP, she sees a bahavioral therapist, my husband and I go to the school regularly and take an active role in her education, she sees the school counselor daily. I am not saying that she is theirs to deal with, we are active, very active in her life at the school. However they should not be allowed to force meds on her by telling us without them she cant be there or asking her if she is on meds.

Funny how when it isnt your child you are quick to decide a kid should be on mehamphetamine based medication. There are things that can be done and are done with her, she had one rough day, ONE, and everyone and their dog is screaming medication it is ridiculous.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momo3fgr8tteens
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:22 AM

No they aren't allowed to do that. What grade is she in and what state are you in?

christina0607
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM
They can't legally force her to be on meds....but after a certain amount of disciplinary action she absolutely can be expelled from school.

What grade is she in and how difficult I'd it for the teachers to control her?
JGSheeley
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:24 AM

She is in second grade, she is 7, and Colorado

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

No they aren't allowed to do that. What grade is she in and what state are you in?

JGSheeley
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM

She has never harmed herself or anyone else, she has a hard time focusing at times. There has been no disciplinary action because she isnt actually doing anything to put anyone in danger by any means. She is in second grade.

Quoting christina0607:

They can't legally force her to be on meds....but after a certain amount of disciplinary action she absolutely can be expelled from school.

What grade is she in and how difficult I'd it for the teachers to control her?

momo3fgr8tteens
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I work for the school division and teachers here are not even allowed to suggest medication for adhd or add. I would call your state department of education and let them know about this. If they don't let her come to school because of it then you could have a possible law suit.  Ask about getting a 504 plan for her. 

robbinsroost
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

They can not force meds! Does she have a 504?

kitty8199
No they can't make you medicate. They're not doctors, they can't say she needs meds, and can't force you to put something in your child's body you don't want
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
Quoting JGSheeley:

so if she isn't doing anything wrong...what's the problem?

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

JGSheeley
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM

inability to focus, she gets hyper, she is not causing anyone any harm.

Quoting christina0607:

Quoting JGSheeley:

so if she isn't doing anything wrong...what's the problem?

christina0607
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Quoting JGSheeley:

why do you think her causing harm is the barometer for whether or not there is discipline to be handed out?

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN