Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

refusing to go potty

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM
  • 24 Replies

so I know this is probably going to open a can of worms but I need advice I've never had a littl on do this before. My youngest has been potty trained for almost a year but yeste day he came in and told me he needed to go potty. so I told him "ok go hurry' and he told me " no... want to peepee in my pants" I managed to convince him he should go that time but now he has had 3 "accidents" in the last 24 hours. how can I convince him he shouldn't be doing this. 

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:15 PM

What age is he currently?  Have there been any changes in his life?   It would be worrisome to me if he wanted to do it in his pants when most children hate wearing wet pants/underwear.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM

he's still pretty young. he'll be 3 in may and he has had any major changes yet but they are coming and I'm pretty sure he knows it. we will be moving in april and his dad's job will be taking him away for nearly a year. and yeah it is disturbing me too... though he doesn't wan to wear it after he does.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What age is he currently?  Have there been any changes in his life?   It would be worrisome to me if he wanted to do it in his pants when most children hate wearing wet pants/underwear.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Oh boy so regression and feeling everyones stress.  This is one of the few ways he can control his life and unfortunately it is a messy way.   Is there any way you can put him back into diapers or pull ups for time being?  I know that isnt the ideal solution but it would cut down on ruining floors and laundry.  You may have to start the potty training  from scratch and have him help clean up any messes he purposely makes in clothing or on floor.   He can use paper towels to clean up pee or anything else and then you can do the final clean up.

Quoting ditsyjo:

he's still pretty young. he'll be 3 in may and he has had any major changes yet but they are coming and I'm pretty sure he knows it. we will be moving in april and his dad's job will be taking him away for nearly a year. and yeah it is disturbing me too... though he doesn't wan to wear it after he does.

Quoting frndlyfn:

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM

putting him back in diaper wouldn't help much he was a cloth diaper baby... but having him help clean up might help

Quoting frndlyfn:

Oh boy so regression and feeling everyones stress.  This is one of the few ways he can control his life and unfortunately it is a messy way.   Is there any way you can put him back into diapers or pull ups for time being?  I know that isnt the ideal solution but it would cut down on ruining floors and laundry.  You may have to start the potty training  from scratch and have him help clean up any messes he purposely makes in clothing or on floor.   He can use paper towels to clean up pee or anything else and then you can do the final clean up.

Quoting ditsyjo:

Quoting frndlyfn:

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM

anyone else have any advice

SissyAnn141
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Quoting ditsyjo:

Tell him, OKAY, we will go buy some pull-ups.

Go to the dollar store, act like - you could care-less.

**** If he wants to go back to pull-ups, great.****

He can be treated, like a little boy, instead of a big Boy.

His decision.

CLICK-ABLE TO GROUP

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:50 AM

he never wore pull ups... he has been in underwear for over a year and cloth diapers before that and he is way to wiggly to go back to pinning diapers

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting ditsyjo:

Tell him, OKAY, we will go buy some pull-ups.

Go to the dollar store, act like - you could care-less.

**** If he wants to go back to pull-ups, great.****

He can be treated, like a little boy, instead of a big Boy.

His decision.

yo_ho
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Both my boys regressed. Start over from scratch, what helped him to learn in the first place? If that doesn't work, take away his big boy toys. I also did a fav character underwear and told him not to pee on them, plain underwear after accidents, special underwear after using the potty.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by Complex Simplicty on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:13 AM

It sounds like regression, which is normal. Some most kids experience it, some don't. I'm dealing with that right now with my 3 year old...nothing I can do but wait it out and keep after her to use the potty.

If I need to, I stand in the bathroom with her while she goes, because she has a royal fit about going stinky. Just based on my experience from my two older children, I know this stage doesn't last forever, but right now, I REALLY just want it to be over.

SissyAnn141
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Quoting yo_ho:

Both my boys regressed. Start over from scratch, what helped him to learn in the first place? If that doesn't work, take away his big boy toys. I also did a fav character underwear and told him not to pee on them, plain underwear after accidents, special underwear after using the potty.

I agree, also ♥♥♥♥♥

CLICK-ABLE TO GROUP

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)