Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

would this upset you??

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM
  • 15 Replies

My youngest DD has a health problem that means she will only grown very slowly

At almost 3 years old she is the size of a one year old tiny 22lbs and 80cm tall

Shes got something called Insulin-like Growth factor  deficiency and is on daily shots of growth hormones 

We call her midget Well to tell the truth the list of names the poor wee soul gets is endless from tufty to ginger 

one of my sons was always tubs or fatboy LOL

but a friend got very upset with me saying I should not call her names like midgit and that was not a nice thing to say to her 

but would it upset you if you heard me call my child midgit knowing she was one sorry a small person 

when she grows up she may only get to 4ft 7 at best  

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Hmm that is a tough one.  I can see you calling her that affectionately but many who suffer from short stature get upset by the name.  I am presuming that her deficiency is very different from dwarfism.

shannon.m.park
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM
I called my daughter piggy as a baby.... born at 8lbs 15 ounces, she was already 20 lbs at 6 months... and that was just eating regular amounts of food.... lol Now she is almost 6 and weighs 50 lbs... I dont call her piggy anymore, but she always will be my piggy, even if she is a size 1 at 35 lol
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM
3 moms liked this

It's better than "Little shit".

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM

If she ever expressed that she was bothered by it, then I would stop. Names hurt, even if they are done in a loving caring way. I would never however use a nickname like that around others because you don't know their lives and how insulting that could be to them. I know a boy who developed an eating disorder because his mother would call him tubby, in a joking nickname kind of way. I also would probably switch to a different word, like calling her shorty or mini, since midget is seen by many to be a derogatory term.

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I think it would depend on the tone...if you harshly said it, I would be a like "wtf?" But if it was in a playful tone, I would smile and probably laugh at the obvious irony of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
They aren't things I would call my kids. Words matter and I personally choose mine carefully.
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I have heard people call there kids way worse things.. such as retard. I have literally heard people say "what, are you retarded?" to their kids.

I simply wouldn't in front of other people because some may take offense. My son is really skinny for his age and I am really careful about what I say because I don't want him to be insecure about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I call mine midgets. I don't give a crap what other people think about their nickname. If they ask me to stop I will, but they are the only ones that get a say in that.

Unrelated but I had a friend in hs we all called tubbs. He was as normal and confident as any teenager could be.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I think you need to find a new way to make affectionate nicknames for your kids.  You see them as affectionate now, but when they hear them from other people in the future, and find out what the rest of the world things of those terms, they're going to second guess all the times you called them those things.

madhouseof5
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:08 AM
1 mom liked this
it is a kind of dwafism She will be even with the treatment shes on be under 4ft10

the gh shes been given is to help make her stronger

and help to stop her having weak bones in her mid 40s
So yes its a form of dwarfism and as she lives in the land of the giants she needs to get tuff
and boy is she ever!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Hmm that is a tough one.  I can see you calling her that affectionately but many who suffer from short stature get upset by the name.  I am presuming that her deficiency is very different from dwarfism.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)