Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you give him back his rent?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 87 Replies
Okay we have had a friend living with us almost a year now. He originally moved in because he was having money trouble, has horrible credit, an owes a old apartment a lot of money so he can't get one in his own name. Well the last couple months we have been kinda whispering in his ear it might be time to go. We just want our own space back. He has not been a bad roommate and pays rent although not always on time. Well today he comes to us and said he plans on moving out tonight, moving in with a friend who just kicked out their roommate today. He also wants back 3/4 of what he paid me this month. I feel like just because he is a friend maybe giving him back 1/2 but Dh thinks we should give the full 3/4 or none. But if we give none just call it done with our friendship. What do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

When did he pay rent? The 1st? I'd say if he paid for the full month and was there a week then yes he should get at least 3/4 back.

acrogodess
by Lissette on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Agreed. Especially since you want him to go anyway. Why make it harder for him to do what you both want to begin with

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

When did he pay rent? The 1st? I'd say if he paid for the full month and was there a week then yes he should get at least 3/4 back.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
navywife2377
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM
That's a hard one. Since your friends and want to stay friends give him 3/4 but if you have a paper contract saying anything about a 30 day notice I wouldn't give him anything back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashandmasysmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:46 PM
7 moms liked this
Divide what he pays you per month by how many days in the month, then times the daily rate for how many days he has been there and thats what he owes you.. Example 500/28 days= 17.86
17.86*8 days is $142 thats what you keep and give the rest back. No sense in ruining a friendship over money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazylovingfam
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Well he just paid yesterday but it was due the 1st. We also agreed before he moved in to give a 30 day notice.

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazylovingfam
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Yes that is my problem legally I could keep it and go after him for part of next because he is signed he would give 30 day notice. I don't plan I doing that.

Quoting navywife2377:

That's a hard one. Since your friends and want to stay friends give him 3/4 but if you have a paper contract saying anything about a 30 day notice I wouldn't give him anything back.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
navywife2377
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I would show him the contract and see what he has to say?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom.sv
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM
4 moms liked this

I would give his rent back. I mean why to hold it back and loose a friend (after staying together for a year). It's just me and I am not sure what your finanancial condition is depending on it if you can afford it it will be ok to give it back.

navywife2377
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
When you have a contract it's no longer friends its a business.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DragonMother10
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM
5 moms liked this
I don't get why you need a 30 day notice when you guys wanted him out. How long of a notice did you give him to look for another place? I would give back the 3/4 money back.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)