Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My husband is a snob and its driving me crazy.

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok so this is going to be a long one.....My Dh and I need to move in April. We received a notice that our apartments are not going to renew our lease (we have been here 6 years) We had a water leak and it caused mold. The apartments are saying we should have found it sooner...which is bs...it was in the bottom of my low to the ground cupboards that I don't use because DH is disabled so I don't put things in really low or really high places...anyway...we are DONE with this apartment, however a few years ago my sister stole my DH and I's personal information and opened a TON of credit cards and totally screwed our credit. My mom convinced us to not press charges and so we have been taking care of it on our own (with little help from the family) That means that it is going to get approved for a place.Two days ago I found a great house. The neighborhood and the outside looks a little rundown but, the inside is BEUATIFUL and WAY bigger than what we currently have. DH doesn't like it. The reason he doesn't like it is because the outside and the surrounding area is older and a little rundown...now i want to be really clear that it is not a bad area...I checked family watchdog.com and there are no alerts to high crime in the area. The schools are great. I feel like he is being a snob because he wants his "dream" house and we can't currently afford it or get approved for it. I don't know what to do. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this house.....it is coming available in April right when we need it and the landlord knows about our credit issues and is still willing to rent to us, he is also being super nice and says that he really wants to rent to us. DH wants to wait since we don't have to commit to anything until March. My problem is that if we pass up on this house because the landlord wants to find a renter to commit NOW...we could end up not being able to find anything....or not get approved by someone else. I don't know what to do...he doesn't seem to even want to discuss it. I may have left out some info, so feel free to ask questions if you need more info....any advice on what i should do is appreciated. Thank You!

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momofone072506
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM

BUMP!

bluedolly01
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM
I dont think that wanting to wait makes your husband a snob but I think you are in a tough position.

You BOTH have to be happy with the place you are living otherwise the unhappy one could end up resenting the other.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM
I wouldn't want to live in a rundown looking house/neighborhood either. You've gotta both agree on someplace AND be able yo afford it though. I'd keep looking if he's passionately against it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaLori
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

If it were me I would be telling DH to suck it up and sign the lease for the house. You would have secure housing and wouldn't have to stay forever. You could continue looking while you are living there and maybe when the lease is up you would be able to afford something that he loves too.

NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM
That doesn't sound snobbish to me.
Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:29 AM

If you like a house and it pretty much fits what your looking for and the landlord wants to rent it to you then sign the lease. 

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM

you should both agree on where you live otherwise there will be resentment. Do you want that?

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:19 AM
When my husband and I were buying our first home, I picked out what I loved. He didn't like it as much, but agreed to it he saw it as a temporary starter home. 5 years later we moved to another city and the home shopping fell primarily on him. It was very eye opening for him and he admitted that he had never appreciated what we had until he compared it.

Take their husband out a lot in the next week apartment hunting and show him that this is the best option for your circumstances.
Young_Mommy89
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:27 AM
My SO acts like I'm a snob, bcuz I don't want to live somewhere that has went downhill if we move..... yet he pretty much turned his nose up at my place when we first met. Its a REALLY old trailer (like 70's) but I only paid 200 a month & could do whatever i wanted to alter it.

I think if its a good neighborhood he needs to get over it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)