Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Naming cousins....

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM
  • 34 Replies

My DS is 10.5.  He was named well before he was born and we decided to call him TJ (hence the sn, lol) since his father and grandfather shared the same first name and already used up the nicknames for it, so we used his initials, he is not a jr because they all have different middle names.

My brother and his gf just had a baby.  They chose his name a long time ago before they even ttc.  He is a jr, first name J___ so they have decided to call him JJ. 

I think this is weird, it's so close to what we call DS.  And when DS was born and named, the gf was 13 and brother didn't even know her so it's not like they had chosen this name long ago.  I think it's weird for the cousins names to be soo close. There are only 3 kids in the family (DS, SD, and new baby)

I don't feel comfortable bringing any of it up now bc the baby was just born, very early and he is very tiny so I'm not going to be all name nazi judegmental.  But I did mention to my mom that it's kind of weird.

Am I wrong for feeling it's weird?  I mean I can't change it but that doesn't stop me from feeling kind of annoyed about it.

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM
6 moms liked this

I think you're being ridiculous. They can name their child anything they want. Their child will actually have a whole life that doesn't involve you or your child. 

Rain2Rinse
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I think you're being, well... Ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I'm sorry mama but I think you're overreacting just a bit.. :/

jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM
2 moms liked this

Is it a bit weird? Sure..

But it's highly unlikely that they did it on purpose to "match" the cousins' names... so you really have no reason to feel annoyed about it, and it's best to let it go.

TJandKarasMom
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Thank you for your honesty.  That's what I wanted.

I think it bugs me because it's not just the name.  This girl does everything I do.  I have grown up a lot since I have known her and many many things used to bother me that don't any more.  I really don't care about most of the things she does.  This bothered me bc I think it will bother DS.  He is already starting to feel like my parents love the new baby more than him, which is extremely hard for him since they have doted on him and had some unnatural attachment to him since he was a baby.  I think this break will be good in the long run for DS because their relationship with him was not healthy IMO and I have tried to wean him off of them.  But it's going to be really hard on DS, too.

Quoting christina0607:

I think you're being ridiculous. They can name their child anything they want. Their child will actually have a whole life that doesn't involve you or your child. 

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:00 AM
What is there to be annoyed about? That both of you choose to shorten given names to just initals?Or because they both happen to have the letter J? Would it have bothered you as much if the nickname was two completely different letters?
It really is not that weird because people in families are more likely to think the same and act the same. And the thing is that you didn't even do it for the same reason.
There is nothing to even be annoyed at because what you chose to do wasn't even very original. I would find a way to move ooray your annoyance.
Gina1109
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM
It'll be alright..... In my family we have 2 sets of siblings both named Kayla and Dylan. It can get confusing but since they live in different States its not so bad lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I don't think it's unlikely at all that they did it on purpose.  They were talking about calling him Little J___ just like we called my brother when he was little.  Then all of the sudden the gf stops speaking to me and they change what they are calling him to JJ. 

There's a lot of history there that doesn't make me think this had nothing at all to do with DS.  This girl wants to be my parents DD, she has even come out and told me this. 

I'm not going to let it bother me and I won't say anything, but it is annoying.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Is it a bit weird? Sure..

But it's highly unlikely that they did it on purpose to "match" the cousins' names... so you really have no reason to feel annoyed about it, and it's best to let it go.

baquick
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I honestly think your overreacting....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I think if they wanted to call him his initials and actually used his initials, JM, then that wouldn't bother me as much.  I think they are using the J  just bc my parents constantly talk about TJ.  My parents have a weird attachment to DS, it's unhealthy really and I have tried to reduce it.  So I honestly think my mom is naming this baby JJ.  My parents are really weird like that and they will treat this baby like they own it just like they did with DS. 

Quoting Roo1234:

What is there to be annoyed about? That both of you choose to shorten given names to just initals?Or because they both happen to have the letter J? Would it have bothered you as much if the nickname was two completely different letters?
It really is not that weird because people in families are more likely to think the same and act the same. And the thing is that you didn't even do it for the same reason.
There is nothing to even be annoyed at because what you chose to do wasn't even very original. I would find a way to move ooray your annoyance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN