Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Husband's parents are here..ugh

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM
  • 10 Replies

His parents came in to help me with my our 1 year old and also be here when the new baby arrives, which can be anyday now because i am 38 weeks 2 days. My husband really was the one that wanted them here and I agreed, as much as I dreaded it. They are very kind-hearted, are helpful around the house which is nice. The problem is they are very very quiet. They don't speak alot. I feel like I am walking on eggshells around them because they are so timid. I am a very outgoing person and my family is very different-we all talk alot and have the tv on and just laugh. I have never even heard them slam a cabinet door. They don't laugh out loud, they barely talk!  So for me, it is very difficult to have them in the house all day and all night because they are making me nervous. I try to talk to them but it's like pulling teeth (not that i've ever tried pulling teeth). They aren't interested in going anywhere or watching movies or tv. They want the tv off at all times. I have offered to take them to the mall and have even told the dad that he can take my car and go anywhere...he refuses. They just want to sit in the house all day and watch me. Their intentions are good, but it is hard to live with people that you don't click with and cannot talk to. They will be here for another 4 weeks...ugh. The bad part is, my husband is working most days and works all day..so I am here alone with them. But even if he was home, they are still quiet. I know it's their nature and personality, but it's just so different then what i am used to.

juggling

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Be yourself. They are probably sensing your discomfort and dont know how to handle it. Take them to a movie, ask his mom to help you bake, find some things that need fixing in the house and ask his dad to do it. Do you have everything ready for the baby ? if not ask for their help.

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I can totally understand that. I am like your family, I constantly have the tv on and noise going but my Mil's side is very quiet and when we get together we just sit in a loving room and talk about random stuff until the room is silent.... *crickets chirping*...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Encourage them to take DS out or go to Michaels and load up on crafts to do with DS to give you a breather.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jess80
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Speaking of pulling teeth! My so had a loose tooth, I mean it was really loose! He asked me to pull it, I tried for 2 days and it would not come out! The 3rd day he bit into a BLT and it came right out! I couldn't believe it! Lol
I would just be myself around the quiet in laws, your husband loved you for you, I'm sure they won't mind. I have quiet friends that love being around my loud self. Good luck!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Due9
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I am planning on taking my son out to the movies and I asked if they wanted to go and they said no. They want to stay at home with my 1 year old daughter. That is fine, as long as I can get away for awhile. They do walk to the park everyday with my 1 year old and are gone for about 2 hours..so that's a big relief :) :)

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Encourage them to take DS out or go to Michaels and load up on crafts to do with DS to give you a breather.

juggling

marshsmom
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Pull out a board game and make some coffee and insist that they play. Maybe they feel a little uncomfortable too. I know at my mother's age she really doesn't enjoy staying in other people's homes. She is older and is used to her routine.
jaden332
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I can somewhat relate. My in-laws are very quite proper people. And while my family and I are proper we are LOUD and love to have fun. My dad will randomly start pillow wars and nerf gun fights in the house. I have younger brothers, ages 9, 12, & 15, still at home so my parents house is always loud and fun. But DH is an only child and his parents are super quite and calm. DH is thankfully not that way anymore. He was when we first met but now he's swung over to my families crazy side.

Due9
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Why can't they be like your dad? haha. It's just their nature to be quiet. They are like this even when we go visit them in their home. I don't think they could laugh out loud if they tried. My husband was also introverted when I met him...now I can see where he got it from. It must be genetic, or at least learned behavior. I just have to accept that not everyone is loud like me :)

Quoting jaden332:

I can somewhat relate. My in-laws are very quite proper people. And while my family and I are proper we are LOUD and love to have fun. My dad will randomly start pillow wars and nerf gun fights in the house. I have younger brothers, ages 9, 12, & 15, still at home so my parents house is always loud and fun. But DH is an only child and his parents are super quite and calm. DH is thankfully not that way anymore. He was when we first met but now he's swung over to my families crazy side.

juggling

LilliesValley
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM
I'd just put the tv on and not care. I'm like you loud and talkative. You just can't shut me up and I need background noise. I would probably never have agreed to a month though. A week, maybe, but doubtful. Sigh, hugs mama.
Due9
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Thanks for the hugs..I need them :) I can't believe I agreed to a month..what was i thinking?! haha

Quoting LilliesValley:

I'd just put the tv on and not care. I'm like you loud and talkative. You just can't shut me up and I need background noise. I would probably never have agreed to a month though. A week, maybe, but doubtful. Sigh, hugs mama.

juggling

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN