Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How to pump? HELP!

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM
  • 11 Replies
I just want to pump for emergencies and or outings since I will be home doing daycare. I haven't a clue on pumping. I don't know when to pump or how often.I know nothing! Help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tansyflower
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

you will get the most pumping output first thing in the morning after you wake up.  typical pumping output is .5 to 1.5 oz so dont be freaked out if you dont get as much out as you *think* you should be.  some woman do not respond well to a pump and get nothing out, so dont use pump output to ever gauge your supply.  doing breast compresses WHILE you pump can help with pump output.  dont give baby more than 1 oz of milk per hour in a wide based slow flow nipple when you will be away.  if you are going to be away from your baby for more than 3 hours bring your pump with you so you dont miss a "feeding".....pumping is not nearly as fun or exciting as you think it will be.  most woman HATE pumping and do their best to avoid it lol :)

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM
He is only two weeks today and he already goes 4 hrs at night between feedings. Is that bad?

Quoting tansyflower:

you will get the most pumping output first thing in the morning after you wake up.  typical pumping output is .5 to 1.5 oz so dont be freaked out if you dont get as much out as you *think* you should be.  some woman do not respond well to a pump and get nothing out, so dont use pump output to ever gauge your supply.  doing breast compresses WHILE you pump can help with pump output.  dont give baby more than 1 oz of milk per hour in a wide based slow flow nipple when you will be away.  if you are going to be away from your baby for more than 3 hours bring your pump with you so you dont miss a "feeding".....pumping is not nearly as fun or exciting as you think it will be.  most woman HATE pumping and do their best to avoid it lol :)

tansyflower
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:34 PM

if he is getting enough wet diapers and gaining weight then no its just fine!

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

He is only two weeks today and he already goes 4 hrs at night between feedings. Is that bad?

Quoting tansyflower:

inspain
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM

kellymom.com  will help with all your breastfeeding questions.

imamomzilla
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM

La Leche League....www. llli. org

breastfeeding

Good luck!

LDavis33
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I don't know if this will work for you but I'll suggest it anyhow.  I have to pump every now and then for date night with hubby or other outings.  Usually my daughter feeds only on one side at each feeding (she usually nods off or gets restless if when I switch sides).  So I pump while she is feeding, during her first feeding in the morning.  I think I get a higher yield by pumping while she is eating, and of course doing it first thing in the morning doesn't hurt either.  Good luck.   

Ms.Pteranodon
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM
There's a breastfeeding group in here that is really helpful
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diana_B.
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM
It gets tricky on the pumping because you also need to make sure you have enough supply to still feed baby. I know if I needed to increase my supply to pump every 2hrs and depending on how bad my supply dropped every hour. I would maybe pump an hour each time baby has fed that way you also have time to make more milk in time for feeding. Also, I would only recommend an electric medela pump. 3 babies later I used any pump but Medela the first 2 children and dried up but with Medela I was able to exclusively BF my youngest the entire year and had plenty of milk includes tons stored. You can also rent them.
Diana_B.
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Sorry I meant an hour after baby has fed each time. I always pumped until I was dry but typically about 15-30 mins.

Quoting Diana_B.:

It gets tricky on the pumping because you also need to make sure you have enough supply to still feed baby. I know if I needed to increase my supply to pump every 2hrs and depending on how bad my supply dropped every hour. I would maybe pump an hour each time baby has fed that way you also have time to make more milk in time for feeding. Also, I would only recommend an electric medela pump. 3 babies later I used any pump but Medela the first 2 children and dried up but with Medela I was able to exclusively BF my youngest the entire year and had plenty of milk includes tons stored. You can also rent them.

needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM

What I used to do when I was building up a supply for going back to work was I would feed my baby and when he was done eating I would use an electric pump (they get more out then a manual) and fully empty both sides. Pop the milk in special breastmilk freezer bags and put the date it was pumped. I could get anywhere from 1-7 oz at a time depending on how hungry the baby was. When I was at work I could pump up to 20 oz at every three hours. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)