Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Making bread in a bread maker (piog)

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 9 Replies
I just made my first loaf of bread in a bread maker my mom just gave me. It's not new, but one she wasn't using so gave it to me.
The bread I made I used regular all purpose flour and it came out edible, but was kinda "dense". Is there anyway to make bread with that flour and not have it come out like that?
All purpose flour is the only kind I have right now and can't get more for a while.
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Doesn't anyone use a bread maker?
JasonsMom2007
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:40 AM
You need bread flour. It's not very expensive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TaralynnStewart
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:07 AM
You need Bread flour.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loving.life
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:32 AM
We use regular flour too. Try weighing it. When you measure based on volume/cups it is easy to overmeasure as the flour settles. This makes it dense.

Also its only good two days or it geels really heavy to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:03 AM
The problem is that all purpose flour has less gluten than bread flour. That less gluten is why it's dense. If you're going to use all purpose flour, you will have to expect that your bread will be more dense. You can add wheat gluten (usually found near the bread yeast in the baking aisle) to lighten the bread.
NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:30 AM
It's dense even with bread flour for me. I don't have great luck with bread machines
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Quoting NDADanceMom:

It's dense even with bread flour for me. I don't have great luck with bread machines

Watch your bread during the mixing cycle. By the end of the mixing cycle, it should be a ball. If it's not a ball by the time your speed picks up at the end of the mixing cycle to start the kneading cycle, then try adding just a bit more water. Not much. Just a tablespoon or 2 at a time until it balls up. If it is a ball but it's sticking to the sides as it goes around, you have too much liquid. Add a bit of flour (I used about a handful at a time.)

If you're using bread flour and it's still too dense, you might not have enough liquid.

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:57 AM
i use all purpose flour all the time when i make bread i don't use a bread maker though the kneading time, whether my hand or machine is what increases the gluten, making it denser or lighter if you increase your rise time and add a bit of acid(vinegar or buttermilk) to the liquid, it will lighten everything up
rollin3kidsdeep
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:11 AM
I add wheat gluten to mine too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)