Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does anyone work for West Coast Bank?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 5 Replies

I'm asking specifically about this bank, since procedures might be different at other banks.

I deposit our employee's paychecks into West Coast Bank every single pay day. Two of our employees opened accounts with West Coast Bank almost 3 years ago. When I first started depositing their checks I was hand writing their deposit slips completely but after about 2 months one of the tellers told me that I could get deposit slips with the employee's account numbers already printed on the bottom. I thought that was great and would save me a few minutes every pay day, so I started getting 10-20 pre-printed deposit slips every few months. I have been doing this now for almost 3 years.

Last Monday I went to a West Coast Bank branch that I don't normally go to but it was near my errands, so I went in there to make the deposits and also asked for some more pre-printed deposit slips. After the teller was done making the deposits then she took the papers over to another person and came back to me, telling me she couldn't give me any deposit slips with my employee's information already printed on them. She said she had just asked her manager and her manager said that wasn't allowed and that only the account holders could get the pre-printed slips. The deposit I had just made with her was using some of my last pre-printed slips, so obviously I had access to them somehow.  I asked her if this was a new policy and she literally giggled and told me that they couldn't just hand out people's account numbers to anyone. I do understand that, to a point, but I had gone in there with pre-printed slips. Obviously I know their account numbers. I told her that I didn't even know that they could give us pre-printed deposit slips until one of the tellers had told me 3 years ago, and I've never had a single person question it in the numerous times I have got them since then. She said, "I don't think so" and then asked if I wanted some more blank deposit slips.

I left there and came home to write West Coast Bank and ask if that was policy but I haven't heard back from them and it has been a week now. I really don't want them if I'm truly not supposed to have them, but it just seems strange that they would tell me about the slips if I wasn't supposed to have acccess to them. The deposits I made on Monday were for everyone's reimbursement checks. I then had to go on Friday to deposit payroll. I went to my local West Coast Bank and after the deposit I asked for some pre-printed deposit slips. She hesitated for a minute and then said, "You're not authorized to have access to those." What?! This was the branch that first told me about the pre-printed slips and they have NEVER batted an eye at me asking for more slips. I'm assuming the branch on Monday put some kind of note in both of my employee's accounts saying that someone was trying to get these silly pre-printed slips.

So, I'm just wondering if someone actually works for West Coast Bank and can tell me definitively whether or not it's okay for someone other than the account holder can get these pre-printed slips. Also whether or not this is a new thing or if I've just been lucky for 3 years.

It really isn't a huge deal for me to have to write in their account numbers every time but it did save a few minutes a few times a month. 

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Anyone? Bueller?

GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Dangit....I was hoping there was at least one person...

Staylor0384
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I am a former banker and that is a huge no no. I don't know about that bank in particular but the teller was giving you other customers account numbers. If the customer gives them to you that is fine but bank employees cannot. Does that make sense?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:30 PM

That does make sense, and I do understand it, but I just think it's strange that if I go in there with the pre-printed deposit tickets then wouldn't it be assumed that I already know their account numbers? I guess that's the part that I'm hung up on. I do understand it though, it's just frustrating that one of the tellers is who told me I could get them done and I haven't had anyone question my request in the last 3 years.

Thank you for your answer. :)

Quoting Staylor0384:

I am a former banker and that is a huge no no. I don't know about that bank in particular but the teller was giving you other customers account numbers. If the customer gives them to you that is fine but bank employees cannot. Does that make sense?

KellBell0820
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a banker and that is a no-no. Someone can give you their deposit slip but you can't order stuff with info on it that isn't yours. It's a fraud prevention thing because you could take those numbers and get into their account. It sounds like you might go to one branch the most and they know you so do things that would otherwise not be allowed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)