Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Catholic momma's! Answer this question about the Pope resigning for me?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM
  • 20 Replies

First, I am not Catholic but have a deep respect and some understanding of the faith through my husband, whose father's side is Catholic, so most of what I do know has came from them.

Were you upset when the Pope announced his resignation?

If so, why?

AND.......What do you think of the next Pope coming from the US or African decsent?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM

BUMP!

Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I personally don't have a problem with it, he probably shouldn't have gotten the vote because his age was a factor they are usually younger when elected. There has never been a US Pope and I don't see it happening now. African descent there was one in the running for awhile last time, but I think it will probably go to someone of  European descent.

RobinBright
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I am not uspet by it--- I think it is admirable that he is resigning if he knows he is no longer capable of leading the church.  That's not an easy decision.  It's always unnerving to feel like we don't have a leader, but... it doesn't change anyone's relationship with God.  Just our temporal leadership is in question. 

What do I think of the next pope being American or African?  An American won't happen.  The Nigerian bishop, imo, is too old to be elected even though he has an outstanding reputation.  The bishop from Ghana is a possibility.  Other likely candidates include the archbishop of Milan, and the archbishop from San Paolo, Brazil.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Not upset at all.  I think it was a reasonable and pragmatic choice.  I realize that it's sort of "tradition" to be Pope until death, but realistically, it's sort of silly to have a Pontiff that can barely move due to poor health.   Pope John Paul II (whom I was VERY fond of) probably could have done well to resign.  The poor man was mostly hunched over and impossible to understand at the end. 

I think it would be neat if the next Pope was from somewhere other than Europe.  They've had a long run!  :-)  I think one from South America would be a wonderful choice.  It is, after all, a huge continent FILLED with Catholics and I feel they're always sort of underrepresented.

JTROX
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I was very surprised, but not upset.  It hasn't happened in over 600 years.  

I don't think there will be an American pope.  I think it would be great to have an African Cardinal be named pope.  The faith of people in African countries has been flourishing while that of Americans has been floundering.  One of my most fav priests is now American, but is from Africa, I forget which country.  He just seemed so spiritual.

EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:58 PM

My DH & I are considered a non-practicing Catholics. Are we upset about the Pope bailing... nope. Surprised... nope. I actually predicted it when he was selected. Now my folks are mad but mainly because they really liked the Pope so when they heard I was right they weren't to happy. 

We can only hope that when they select the next Pope that they really think about who it should be. We wouldn't mind seeing a young Pope. Nor would it bother us if the next one is of a different color. Sadly we don't see either happening.

NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:04 PM
No. Pope John was in too long and was like a corpse they propped up. Is rather have someone in better health.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
inspain
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM

His decision was in the best interest of the Church. 

Also what would be in the Church's best interest would be a Pope from either Latin America or Africa.  

Someone a bit more willing to take a strong position on the molestation issue might be nice too - but, hey, I know not to expect the moon and the stars...

FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM

No i wasn't upset.

I doubt either of those two things would happen, however I have no thought on either. Neither good nor bad.

FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:19 PM

True they need someone with a strong, no hold barred approach to the molestations, prior and current. And someone who spreads and upholds the newer traditions of the church since vatican 2.

I would LOVE to see big reform, but will pray for only realistic reform.

Quoting inspain:

His decision was in the best interest of the Church. 

Also what would be in the Church's best interest would be a Pope from either Latin America or Africa.  

Someone a bit more willing to take a strong position on the molestation issue might be nice too - but, hey, I know not to expect the moon and the stars...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)