Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Catholic momma's! Answer this question about the Pope resigning for me?

Posted by   + Show Post

First, I am not Catholic but have a deep respect and some understanding of the faith through my husband, whose father's side is Catholic, so most of what I do know has came from them.

Were you upset when the Pope announced his resignation?

If so, why?

AND.......What do you think of the next Pope coming from the US or African decsent?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
chemmom83
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
YES, I WAS HIGHLY SHOCKED. I THINK HE IS A DECENT POPE HE GOT MORE YOUNG BACK/INTERESTED IN THEIR FAITH AGAIN. I THINK SOME FROM THE US. BUT NOT SURE WHOSE IN THE RUNNING YET. IT WILL BECOME MORE APPARENT OVER THE NEXT 2WKS.
TigOlBitties
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Not upset. Lol I don't let things out of my control affect me like that.

I think it would be great if the next one were African or from any other developing country. I don't want it to be someone from the US.

I am not a strict/by the book catholic necessarily. Felt I should throw that out there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM

BUMP!

kaylasmom22
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Upset? Not at all,if he feels he can't do his job 100% then he needs to step down. Lots of Catholics are actually proud he had the guts to leave.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Doesn't bother me one bit.  I think it takes a good man to admit when he feels he can no longer uphold the commitment he made.

As far as a new Pope, it really makes no difference to me.  Although I am Catholic, my beliefs and the way I worship has NOTHING to do with the Pope.

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM
I'm not catholic but I did want to say I didn't know the pipe was allowed to just quit. I thought it was like marriage. "til death do you pope." and thats why they picked them so old. I'm so ignorant of religion.
Sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't mean to.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I grew up Catholic and I think it's sad he's stepping down and it's even sadder the backlash that has ensued. There are so many rumors flying it's not funny. A good man a bad man. Who cares. The past cannot be fixed. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. 

sherry132
by Sherry on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I'm not upset, I understand that when you get older it's difficult to carry a full time job, much less one with so many responsibilities. I'm saddened that he isn't doing well.

As for who the next Pope will be, who ever he is, he will not be picked because of his color, his country, or any other issues like that. He will be picked because of the belief of goodness he can bring. The belief he is a leader. 

I pray that man has strength and is able to guide the Church in a way that is positive. I pray he can bring Catholics home and give hope. 

And whoever he is, I will love, honor, and respect him. Because I am Catholic to the core. 

karlie2
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM
There's a Canadian cardinal who's supposed to be one of the front runners.
luvmygrndhg
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Quoting momdoes:

First, I am not Catholic but have a deep respect and some understanding of the faith through my husband, whose father's side is Catholic, so most of what I do know has came from them.

Were you upset when the Pope announced his resignation? 

If so, why?

Yes, I was very sad.  I love this Pope.  For most of my life I was what is considered a liberal Catholic.  I practiced cafeteria style Catholicism picking and choosing which doctrines to believe.  It was from this Pope that I first heard the term "moral relativism" and realized that is what I was doing.  He appealed to my intellect logically and reasonably explaining the WHY for each of the hard Church teachings to follow.  It was under his leadership that I became a Catholic in mind, heart and soul.  I will miss him very much.

AND.......What do you think of the next Pope coming from the US or African decsent?

The graphic below shows the composition of the college of cardinals.  I would be very happy with an non-European Pope...there is a strong probability that American cardinal Raymond Burke will be elected.  He would be an awesome Pope!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)