Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Infection?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:59 PM
  • 9 Replies
Okay so my girls had a really bad cough for a couple of weeks. Also runny/stuffy noses. A few days ago my 5 year complained of pain in her ear. She was crying so I had her lay on a heating pad. That didn't help. I checked her temperature and she didn't have fever but I went ahead and gave her Tylenol anyway for pain. She said it helped a little. The next day she said her ear still felt weird. She said it sounds like someone is sweeping inside her ear. But she said there was no pain.

Now today, all if a sudden my 2 year old is tugging her ear and crying. She can't sleep for more than 10 minutes. She doesn't have a fever either. Is it possible that it's an infection without a fever or does it just sound like drainage from their cold/virus a couple weeks ago?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
worwalkerlds
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM

My nieces both had ear infections and nobody knew until their eardrums burst.  They weren't running fevers or anything.  One is 9 and the other is nearly 3...  I would think that they would run a fever with an infection but they didn't.  Their Mom is a neonatal intensive care nurse so she knows what to look for but it was so silent...  

MyahsMom
by Heather on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Ear infections don't always cause a fever. My kids have never had a fever with an ear infection but some kids do. I would get them checked.
Master_Debater
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM
It can be an ear infection w/o the fever. I have one now myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM
So does that mean my 5 year still has an infection even though there is no pain?
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Bumping this... Also, want to add that my 2 year old seems to be doing a little better. This is so weird.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

So does that mean my 5 year still has an infection even though there is no pain?
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Middle ear infections. My daughter just got over one last month that came on AFTER she got over a slight cold (couple of weeks after).  She needed antibiotics.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM

oh yes... they only get a fever when the infectoin gets really bad. my daughter used to get so many of those things and most of the time she wouldn't even tell me or show any signs...i would take her in to the doctor for something else and they would say..." frankly I'm more concerned about the ear infection."

mommysangelface
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM

my ds5 never ran a fever with his ear infections. The ONE time he did, was when his eardrum ruptured 2 weeks before he was scheduled to have tubes put in his ears

SamanthaSage
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Take them to the doctor.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN