Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Boy Scout mommies

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:58 PM
  • 14 Replies

Do you remember the skit that your boys did for the Blue and Gold banquet (or any other time during the year)? I have Tiger cubs and am thinking of doing "the emergency broadcast system." does everyone do this one?? first year i have to come up with a skit and it's been a chore to get my 6yos to get their requirements for their bobcat badges done. 

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleighmama
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:07 AM
I have an 8 yr old 3rd grade son in scouts. He started in 2nd grade (wolf) and now hes in the bears. I remember going to the banquet last year, but I dont remember him doing a skit. Hmmm, do all the dens do a skit?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:28 AM

It was 20 ish years ago and I never seen that skit. refresh my memory what are the requirements for thebobcat? I don't remeber doing skits. at least not for the bobcat badge.

starbuckmom03
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM

My ds is a tiger and this is the first Blue and Gold banquet for me to go to so I am not sure whats going to happen.  I am looking forward to it tho!  Its been a great year for us!  My dh is the Tigers Den leader and has done a great job!

I would like to hear more about this skit too!

tennisgal
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM

the bobcat badge requires them to memorize the motto, law of the pack, etc...and none of my boys have been able to yet. there are 7 different sections to work on for it and i want to get it done before the banquet next month. 

the skits are just for entertainment at the banquet but since this isour first year i didn't know if everyone did it or just our pack.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

It was 20 ish years ago and I never seen that skit. refresh my memory what are the requirements for thebobcat? I don't remeber doing skits. at least not for the bobcat badge.

Terra3
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Yes my boys have done that skit at summer camp. Our pack has outside entertainment for our Blue & Gold celebrations but we do skits for pack meetings and during summer camp.

This specific skit is a lot of fun and really easy so it would be perfect for tigers.

I'm curious why it's taking so long to do bobcat requirements though. Shouldn't you be working in tiger requirements by now? Bobcat is such a simple lesson that, at least in our pack, it only takes a few minutes to get through.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2boys03
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Last year for wolf I dont remember. This year as a bear they are going to do magic tricks.  For the crossing over ceremony they did a little puppet show.  I don't know the skit your talking about.  One group mad musical instruments and played them.

tennisgal
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Yes, simple thats wht i was going for but I was curious if it was a skit that was done every year, then i would look for something else. 

bobcat requirements have been like pulling teeth to get through (well the memorization parts anyway) so our den leader said to just say it with them a few times and call it good (there's 7 or 8 items). they've been working on scrap books and such this year and i took a month break when i had the new baby....so we're playing catch up now. 

Quoting Terra3:

Yes my boys have done that skit at summer camp. Our pack has outside entertainment for our Blue & Gold celebrations but we do skits for pack meetings and during summer camp.

This specific skit is a lot of fun and really easy so it would be perfect for tigers.

I'm curious why it's taking so long to do bobcat requirements though. Shouldn't you be working in tiger requirements by now? Bobcat is such a simple lesson that, at least in our pack, it only takes a few minutes to get through.

tennisgal
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I am still trying to figure out what I'm doing! lol. I was talked into it but there wasn't anyone else to take the Tiger Cubs, so...here we are. 

The skit was repeated several times on YouTube so I was curious if it was done every year. The leader says, "We've installed a new emergency alert system. In case of emergency this is what you'll hear (the kids "buzz"). If this were an actual emergency this is what you would've heard (and the kids, who are 6, scream and run around)."

Quoting starbuckmom03:

My ds is a tiger and this is the first Blue and Gold banquet for me to go to so I am not sure whats going to happen.  I am looking forward to it tho!  Its been a great year for us!  My dh is the Tigers Den leader and has done a great job!

I would like to hear more about this skit too!

Terra3
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM
That's what we do with tigers too because it's impossible for them to memorize it. Then we just continue to repeat the pledge over and over at every scout meeting and every year they move up so it gets etched into their brain by the time they move to boy scouts. At boy scout level the pledge is even longer and they have to recite it at every meeting; at least they do in our troop. I'm the leader for 1st year Webelos right now and have been with them since the very beginning so I'm already working with them to learn that pledge for when they move to boy scouts.

Quoting tennisgal:

Yes, simple thats wht i was going for but I was curious if it was a skit that was done every year, then i would look for something else. 

bobcat requirements have been like pulling teeth to get through (well the memorization parts anyway) so our den leader said to just say it with them a few times and call it good (there's 7 or 8 items). they've been working on scrap books and such this year and i took a month break when i had the new baby....so we're playing catch up now. 

Quoting Terra3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Terra3
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh and do the skit. It's not a big deal if it's repeated or someone has already seen it before. At day camp we probably see the same skits from at least 3 or 4 different dens every year. That skit is perfect for that age level and it's appropriate for Blue & Gold.

Quoting tennisgal:

Quoting Terra3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN