Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ahhhhh head lice........HELP!

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:33 AM
  • 9 Replies

How short does the hair need to be shaved to get rid of the lice and the eggs? Does it need to be completely bald or can there be a tiny bit of hair left on the head?

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
doulala
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I have never shaved for it, not necessary--    But they can live on *some* hair, so the less the "better" but up to you!

GL!

CV3
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Dont need to shave it so I dont think it makes much of a difference really. Why not just do the shampoo and vinegar rinse?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I keep his hair fairly short anyway because he doesn't like getting it braided so shaving it isn't out of the norm.

I just don't know how short it needs to be to keep them away.

Quoting CV3:

Dont need to shave it so I dont think it makes much of a difference really. Why not just do the shampoo and vinegar rinse?

CV3
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Bald, near as I can tell. I think if theres any sort of hair over like 1/4 inch they can live in it.

Quoting Army_Mom_2_Boyz:

I keep his hair fairly short anyway because he doesn't like getting it braided so shaving it isn't out of the norm.

Quoting CV3:

Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:17 AM

I did the lice treatment and combed out his hair with the comb before I shaved it. I didn't do it completely bald yet cause I wasn't sure if it was needed.

I looked through his hair and I didn't see any eggs on his hair and no bugs. So hopefully they are gone and I don't have to go completely bald.

Thanks for the info :)

Quoting CV3:

Bald, near as I can tell. I think if theres any sort of hair over like 1/4 inch they can live in it.

Quoting Army_Mom_2_Boyz:

Quoting CV3:

TableforSeven
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:56 AM
Lice can live on even the shortest hair. I would treat it - not shave his head!
NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:11 AM
I can't nor wouldn't shave my daughter who has had lice twice. I just did the treatments and picked the nits for HOURS. Had she been a boy i would have shaved it!
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:14 AM

do he actually have lice?

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:15 AM

you did treat your home right?

Quoting Army_Mom_2_Boyz:

I did the lice treatment and combed out his hair with the comb before I shaved it. I didn't do it completely bald yet cause I wasn't sure if it was needed.

I looked through his hair and I didn't see any eggs on his hair and no bugs. So hopefully they are gone and I don't have to go completely bald.

Thanks for the info :)

Quoting CV3:

Quoting Army_Mom_2_Boyz:

Quoting CV3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)