Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cost of raising a child.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:01 AM
  • 14 Replies

http://www.babycenter.com/cost-of-raising-child-calculator?scid=mbtw_post6y_11m

For my region the total is ........

Total cost: $266,770

This year you'll spend: $9,560

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:25 AM

toddler girl

NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:32 AM
Whatever it is I'm sure i pay more. LOL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aj23
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Total cost: $333,420.
This is without paying for college, he has a trust fund that will pay for it so I don't have to.
It would be $157,410 if my income was lower.

Gorilla_Mama
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:03 AM
Yeah that was so wrong in what it'll cost me. It came up with numbers that were higher then I spend in a year for all of us on a couple things, housing being way out there.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:13 AM
True dat!

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Whatever it is I'm sure i pay more. LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GaleJ
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM

There is an old Doonesbury comic in which the parents of one of the characters, Mark, present him with a bill for his childhood and I used to think it was funny. Now with a twenty-two-year old son I'm starting to consider the possibility in a much more serious way...lol.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM

I know these things are just for fun and meant to be averages and whatnot, but they are never even remotely close.  Not even in the  ballpark.  It said this year alone we'd spend 14,000.  I doubt we'll even crack 4 or 5 grand.  We don't pay for childcare at all and probably never will.  I use mostly only hand me downs or buy second hand right now for clothes.  Our kids really only get new toys at Christmas or their birthdays and even then, we don't go nuts.  We do a ton of free or cheap fun things. 

I can appreciate that people need to be financially secure and plan ahead if they want to have kids, but I also think these things promote this false idea that children will automatically put you in the poor house and I totally disagree.  It's entirely dependent on your lifestyle and more stuff or more expensive clothes will not enhance one's childhood.  Probably one could argue the opposite is true. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM

We havent ever paid for child care either. I like it can give an vague idea.  I couldnt find one that does state by state so my area was lumped in with california which i know has higher cost of living.

Quoting Kmary:

I know these things are just for fun and meant to be averages and whatnot, but they are never even remotely close.  Not even in the  ballpark.  It said this year alone we'd spend 14,000.  I doubt we'll even crack 4 or 5 grand.  We don't pay for childcare at all and probably never will.  I use mostly only hand me downs or buy second hand right now for clothes.  Our kids really only get new toys at Christmas or their birthdays and even then, we don't go nuts.  We do a ton of free or cheap fun things. 

I can appreciate that people need to be financially secure and plan ahead if they want to have kids, but I also think these things promote this false idea that children will automatically put you in the poor house and I totally disagree.  It's entirely dependent on your lifestyle and more stuff or more expensive clothes will not enhance one's childhood.  Probably one could argue the opposite is true. 

lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Clicky, please?
Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Me and one of my friends were just discussing this. I have two kids, she is going to start trying this summer. She created this list of baby items that cracks me up!! She put the prices of things as being ridiculously high!! $50 for a baby bath tub, she wants a play mat, stationary playtoy, walker, bounty seat and gym.... In a two bedroom apartment! Lol. I think people assume you need all these things for a baby and you really don't. Lots of people have babies with way less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN