Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

New Carseat Law

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:17 AM
  • 10 Replies

I guess the carseats with latch systems have a weight limit? A friend posted this info to my fb... its the first time I'm hearing it. 

Child seat requirements change with 2014 rule

• many children ages 3 and up who should still be in child-safety seats will be warned not to use a federally required child-seat attachment system when a new rule takes effect in early 2014.
  • Regulators are "dismantling" their own child seat rules, a safety advicate says.

Insurance Institute for Highway

Regulators are "dismantling" their own child seat rules, a safety advicate says.

Insurance Institute for Highway

Regulators are "dismantling" their own child seat rules, a safety advicate says.

The rule requires child-seat makers to tell parents not to use the lower anchors required in cars since 2001 if children and their car seats have a combined weight of 65 pounds, because the strength of the anchors cannot be guaranteed.

Child seats typically weigh 15 to 33 pounds. So the new rule means some children as light as 32 pounds might not be able to use a system designed to make child seats easier to install and, therefore, safer. This child-seat system is known as LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children).

Joseph Colella, one of five child-safety advocates who petitioned the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to change the rule, says the anchor requirements are based on old child seats and outdated recommendations on how long kids should be in child seats.

The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers sought the change in the rule because limits weren't factoring in how much seats weigh. Colella says carmakers aren't able to guarantee the safety of heavier kids given the strength of LATCH anchors. The alliance was not available for comment.

The advocates say the minimum strength requirements should be increased.

LATCH use and awareness are already low. A study last summer by the advocacy groupSafe Kids Worldwide found child-seat checkpoint technicians were using the lower anchors to attach seats only about 30% of the time. And Safe Kids found just 30% of parents use the top tether straps, which prevent head injuries in crashes.

"Disconnecting tethers when their use is needed … could lead to a tragedy," says Stephanie Tombrello of advocacy group SafetyBeltSafe, one of the petitioners.

Colella's 3-year-old niece died in a 1994 crash in a child seat that didn't fit the car. That prompted him to push to make child seats more compatible with cars, an effort that resulted in the federal panel that recommended LATCH.

LATCH is considered easier than a safety belt to tightly secure a child seat.

"While LATCH makes it easier to properly install car seats in vehicles, it's important for parents and caregivers to know that securing a child seat with a seat belt is equally as safe — and that they have the flexibility to use either system," says Transportation Department spokeswoman Lynda Tran.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends children use car seats with harnesses through age 8. AAP's recommendation and supporting research led child-seat makers to design more seats for children 65 pounds and over.

~<3~ Lovin my life as a Mommy & a Wife ~<3~

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:23 AM

We always used the seat belt rather than the latch option.  

TaralynnStewart
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:26 AM
I do too.

Quoting frndlyfn:

We always used the seat belt rather than the latch option.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:32 AM

well my child would have exceeded that weight at 18 months. and what about the parents that have older vehicles without the latches. someone is not thinking this through.

NowImAMom...
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I think what it means is that if you're using LATCH it can only be used until the whole unit is 65lbs, but after that a seatbelt should be used to hold in the seat. I'm a little confused, though.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

well my child would have exceeded that weight at 18 months. and what about the parents that have older vehicles without the latches. someone is not thinking this through.

opinionatedmom
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:53 AM

I am confused to. so why not just stick with the seatbelt and not even install latches then?

Quoting NowImAMom...:

I think what it means is that if you're using LATCH it can only be used until the whole unit is 65lbs, but after that a seatbelt should be used to hold in the seat. I'm a little confused, though.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

NowImAMom...
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:59 AM

Well if they just figured this out it may take time to test it and get them out of production- maybe it would be faster to get the law out first. IDK, that's just speculation on my part.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

I am confused to. so why not just stick with the seatbelt and not even install latches then?

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

opinionatedmom
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:10 AM

I personally have given up on following laws like this. they change them every 6 months to 5 yrs. I remeber when coffee was decided to cause cancer but yet everyone still drinks it. I think it has been deemed to be safe now. When my oldest was a baby they only had to be in a car seat till 40 lbs. at that time he was 2. then you have every other argument in history. we decided a is the best option, then it changes to b and back to a and then to c. who the hell can keep track of all of the changes.

and what gets me they only give you the results they want  you to hear. they tell you how many deaths are prevented by seatbelts for example but there is no statistics on how many people die due to using a seatbelt. why do they hide these results? why aren't these statistics given? what are they hiding? My 4 yr old is in a car seat fastened by a seat belt.  I never knew latches existed. I hate new cars I love my old cars. My cars never have had latches. yes I drive a 96 truck but it has a new motor and tranny I am not giving it up any time soon. besides it is cool looking :)

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Well if they just figured this out it may take time to test it and get them out of production- maybe it would be faster to get the law out first. IDK, that's just speculation on my part.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Megshere
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:53 AM
That is because the news stations and programs just report the results of experiments that will grab attention. The media is not the place to go for news in regards to health & safety.

Quoting opinionatedmom:

I personally have given up on following laws like this. they change them every 6 months to 5 yrs. I remeber when coffee was decided to cause cancer but yet everyone still drinks it. I think it has been deemed to be safe now. When my oldest was a baby they only had to be in a car seat till 40 lbs. at that time he was 2. then you have every other argument in history. we decided a is the best option, then it changes to b and back to a and then to c. who the hell can keep track of all of the changes.

and what gets me they only give you the results they want  you to hear. they tell you how many deaths are prevented by seatbelts for example but there is no statistics on how many people die due to using a seatbelt. why do they hide these results? why aren't these statistics given? what are they hiding? My 4 yr old is in a car seat fastened by a seat belt.  I never knew latches existed. I hate new cars I love my old cars. My cars never have had latches. yes I drive a 96 truck but it has a new motor and tranny I am not giving it up any time soon. besides it is cool looking :)

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strangeyfine
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:03 AM
Yup that's what it means. Both are equally safe as long as you use them properly. Once the weight limit is reached use the belt, not the latch.

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyBoha
by Country Girl on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM
LATCH has always had weight limits but they are now making it uniform for all cars. The weight of the child plus the weight of the seat can not exceed 65lbs. Seatbelt installs are perfectly safe and techs that I know will be encouraging parents to do a seatbelt install from the get go
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)