Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Well,it is official.Brian has

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM
  • 60 Replies

Celiac disease.I'm glad we finally know for certain what is/was wrong with his stomach,but now I am arguing with my husband.Because he doesn't think we should alter the diet at home at all....

The doctor told us it is difficult to put a kid on a STRICT gluten-free diet because the child is not with his/her parents all the time.And,so at some point will end up eating something with gluten in it.My husband took this to mean that Brian shouldn't be on a gluten-free diet at home...HUH?I don't like seeing Brian sick and removing the gluten will fix it,so don't worry,my whole household will be eating gluten free by the end of the month. I don't understand how guys think most of the time...It will be hard to do,so don't bother?

Just venting.Carry on.

Thought for the day :

Women are angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible that way.

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
missamanda86
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:16 PM

My best friends daughter was just diagnosed about 3 years ago, and they have her on a strict diet. She takes her own lunch to school and doesnt eat anything but that. She's older (18) so she knows what to watch for, but in a younger kiddo its gotta be hard

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Hard but not impossible.The doctor thinks both my hubby and I need to be checked for it also.He said that for someone to have Celiac both parents have it or are carriers

Quoting missamanda86:

My best friends daughter was just diagnosed about 3 years ago, and they have her on a strict diet. She takes her own lunch to school and doesnt eat anything but that. She's older (18) so she knows what to watch for, but in a younger kiddo its gotta be hard

missamanda86
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I definitely would. Britt's dad has it, but never found time to tell my BFF (he's a 'im a dad when its convienent for me' kind of person), so she was having all kinds of problems and finally after 2 years, they figured it out.

Quoting brandyblx:

Hard but not impossible.The doctor thinks both my hubby and I need to be checked for it also.He said that for someone to have Celiac both parents have it or are carriers

Quoting missamanda86:

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Yup,we are going to get tested next week.The doctor also mentioned the possibility that the other 2 could have some form of it....group blood test,lol.Bryce (9) will not be pleased.

Quoting missamanda86:

I definitely would. Britt's dad has it, but never found time to tell my BFF (he's a 'im a dad when its convienent for me' kind of person), so she was having all kinds of problems and finally after 2 years, they figured it out.

Quoting brandyblx:

Quoting missamanda86:

spunky946
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Men are stupid.  I hope that he comes around.  I think the diet will probably make a huge difference.

missamanda86
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Oh I can imagine loL!

Quoting brandyblx:

Yup,we are going to get tested next week.The doctor also mentioned the possibility that the other 2 could have some form of it....group blood test,lol.Bryce (9) will not be pleased.

Quoting missamanda86:

Quoting brandyblx:

Quoting missamanda86:

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Maybe he doesn't know how severe it can get? Most people think the reaction is just an upset tummy, they don't realize that the reactions get more severe over time and with repeated exposure it could kill him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:48 PM

The doctor said we caught it soon enough that it hasn't caused a lot of damage and that the diet will help Bri feel better.His daddy will come around because I am switching the diet of my household anyway.

Quoting spunky946:

Men are stupid.  I hope that he comes around.  I think the diet will probably make a huge difference.

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Being strict gluten-free is hard but doable. Brian is at an age he can read labels, if not home with you. 

I don't have Cliac disease but I have intolarance to gluten I do all I can to be gluten-free. 

Quoting brandyblx:

Celiac disease.I'm glad we finally know for certain what is/was wrong with his stomach,but now I am arguing with my husband.Because he doesn't think we should alter the diet at home at all....

The doctor told us it is difficult to put a kid on a STRICT gluten-free diet because the child is not with his/her parents all the time.And,so at some point will end up eating something with gluten in it.My husband took this to mean that Brian shouldn't be on a gluten-free diet at home...HUH?I don't like seeing Brian sick and removing the gluten will fix it,so don't worry,my whole household will be eating gluten free by the end of the month. I don't understand how guys think most of the time...It will be hard to do,so don't bother?

Just venting.Carry on.

brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My hubby has always been the "You don't need medicine-there is nothing wrong with you"type. He won't get away with it this time...Not when there is something I can do to make sure my son feels better,kwim?

Quoting shadow_lark:

Maybe he doesn't know how severe it can get? Most people think the reaction is just an upset tummy, they don't realize that the reactions get more severe over time and with repeated exposure it could kill him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN