Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is it too much to ask?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM
  • 52 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son Jack is in kindergarten, and he is allergic to peanuts.I really hoped to be the class mom so that I could make sure he didn't have anything with peanuts during class parties, but since I was not picked to be class mom I told the women who got picked about Jack's allergy. Jack comes home upset after the school parties because he is never able to eat the snack because the food contains peanuts. I talked to the teacher and to the woman who brings the snacks, and they don't seem to care! 

What should I do? I feel so bad for my son who is excluded from the parties. Also, there is a little girl in the class who also has a peanut allergy and her mother has also talked to the teacher and class mom. 

Ridiculous!!! 

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CatherineNewton
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Isnt it school rule that no peaunuts in class rooms? I know here it is! and if one kid has allergys it shouldnt even be in the class room anyways. 

dommad2
by Tamara on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM
It's the same here. Both of my kids are in peanut free classrooms

Quoting CatherineNewton:

Isnt it school rule that no peaunuts in class rooms? I know here it is! and if one kid has allergys it shouldnt even be in the class room anyways. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sheramom4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Send something for him and the other child. The class mom is probably being overly cautious and doesn't know what they can and cannot have. I doubt every snack brought in has peanuts, but she is probably nervous.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM
When they have parties, send him in with something he can eat. I'm surprised the school allows peanut products in a class with allergies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teaching_mama
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:36 PM
My dd eats a gluten free diet. When they have parties I just send her with her own gf snack so I can be sure she can still participate without eating gluten. Granted, baking treats without gluten can be more challenging than doing it without peanuts, I don't expect the room moms to cater every individual students dietary needs for each class party. Id rather just make it myself anyway so I can be 100% sure her treat is gf and also low sugar (we also try to avoid sugar when possible).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2KiraEthan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Our schools are peanut-free. Go to the principal. If that fails, go above their head.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I have no clue if we have a room mom or not.   We get a note though if there is a peanut allergy in the class or any other allergies/dietary restrictions.   When we send dd in with cupcakes, we make sure the bakery knows there is peanut allergies so to take special care.

Matriarch87
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, if they are being biotches, cant you just always send a special pan of his type of treats for occasions that call for it.  I would think at the very least they could alert you that there will be treats today so you can prepare.  Thats gotta be tough, im sorry your baby has to deal with that.  

MommyBear28
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I have for the past few parties sent him and the little girl a separate snack! But I still don't think it's fair that he and the girl have to eat a different snack than everyone else! I am thinking about going to the principal about this issue! I definitely want a "No Peanut" rule enforced! 

specialwingz
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM
8 moms liked this

They have allergies.  They will have to get used to eating different things.  It's not that I am insensitive to this.  It's just that those who have kids with allergies seem to think the mothers of those who don't should HAVE to conform.  It should be the birthday child's choice as to what they want to bring to class.  It's their birthday.  If it is something your child can't have, then send something he CAN have.  When it's his birthday, you get to send what YOUR child wants.

Is THAT too much to ask?

Quoting MommyBear28:

I have for the past few parties sent him and the little girl a separate snack! But I still don't think it's fair that he and the girl have to eat a different snack than everyone else! I am thinking about going to the principal about this issue! I definitely want a "No Peanut" rule enforced! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)